• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My $10.00 Bombproof motor mounts

1996cc

NAXJA Forum User
Since my driver's side motor mount was less than a year old, and completely trashed, I decided to made my own today. The $100+ M.O.R.E. mounts use a lower control arm bushing, so I figured I'd do the same. ($9.95 at Vatozone). I used an old stock rear driveline for the bushing to press into, it was a little to big ID, so I "shimmed" it with more pieces of the same driveline (remember this is a budget wheeler):

DSC05534.jpg

Then I just gutted the stock mount and cut the top off, then welded the sleeve to it. Added a gusset inside (between the bottom of the mount and the round tubing). And whalaa, my $10 bombproof motor mount:

DSC05539.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

The control arms use a slightly larger bolt, so I drilled out the motor side mount holes to accommodate a bigger bolt. Since the driver's side seems to be the only problematic one, I'll just leave the pass. side stock. The motor torque pushes into that one, instead of yanking it apart.

I'm liking this poormans mod, now post some part #'s for us po focks

Those don't look anywhere near as beefy as the MORE's. I'd say you have a $10 motor mount minus the bombproof.

IIRC, my lifetime warranty jobbies from AutoZone were only $15 or so. That was a while ago though, I may be wrong.

Props for fabbing your own anyhow.

Hale

When OEM motor mounts go out, the part that fails is the rubber. The steel is just fine. So he beefed up the known failure point which was the rubber. This was an excellent upgrade.

I'm sure the MORE mounts are nice, but $100 is quite a bit of money for an upgrade in steel, that IMO is not what was needed to be upgraded.

waxer said:
When OEM motor mounts go out, the part that fails is the rubber. The steel is just fine. So he beefed up the known failure point which was the rubber. This was an excellent upgrade.

I'm sure the MORE mounts are nice, but $100 is quite a bit of money for an upgrade in steel, that IMO is not what was needed to be upgraded.

When you put it that way, I would have to agree. However, now that the rubber is beefed up, what's the next weakest link?

Last edited:
Thats pretty ghetto!The material is not proper and the welds look questionable.All the failures Ive seen were "broken" mounts not worn ones!

Props dude! I am planning to do the same when I get around to it. I have MORE mounts but I figure I'll make some strong mounts and sell them dirt cheap to a local wheeler.

I bought the MORE's, but I gotta say that looks pretty nice.

If I could build one for 10 bucks I would have since I was out of work at the time of failure.

Good effort.

You could give it a try, or go for V2.0. Could cost you too much more to do another one, right? I hope those give good isolation. Engine vibes though the chassis can be annoying.

I replaced both my mounts this summer with Poly urine-stain ones from 4-wheel parts.
Not at all happy with them. They took 4 hours to install and I might just as well have bolted the engine to the chassis for all the isolation they have.

Autozone has lifetime stock replacements? I'll be looking into that.

Ron

amschnellsten said:
you can also shoot polyurethane construction adhesive in the stock or worn out ones for $4. makes them solid and new.

Talk about ghetto.......

waxer said:

Exactly what I thought when I built them.

If you want a perfect fit sleeve, JKS has them available for $10-15, but I didn't want to wait for shipping. This will work just fine, it is a nice tight fit. As far as the welds, there is nothing questionable about them, good penetration. They are a little ugly inside where it was hard to get to, but other than that, no issues.

^^ M-I-C-------K-E-Y------M-O-U-S-E^^:roflmao:

I'll stick with my lifetime warranty AZ's thanks

My last comment was regarding the construction adhesive.
If something doesn't work for you and you have the means to make one of your own- by all means- go for it. It only needs to make one person happy. I don't care who likes or dislikes my Jeep or anything for that matter- as long as I like it.

Back