• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ '95-'97 : is possible to change the steering wheel?

XJ LOVER

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody!! This is my first thread and my first topic here!! I'm an Italian XJ fan,i love it since i was 4,when my father bought a fantastic '88 4.0 Laredo,but i'm not here for talkin about this....in this days i'm looking for my first car and,of course,i'm searching an XJ 4.0. I've found two very interesting cars,but they are '95-'97 models,and there's a particular that i don't like : that orrible steering wheel with airbag,bleah! My question is this : is possible replace the one with airbag with a classic and wonderful Jeep steering wheel?? (like XJ's till '94 or YJ's)

Thank you very much and sorry for my unperfect English,CIAO!!!!!!

Last edited:
XJ LOVER said:
Hello everybody!! This is my first thread and my first topic here!! I'm an Italian XJ fan,i love it since i was 4,when my father bought a fantastic '88 4.0 Laredo,but i'm not here for talkin about this....in this days i'm looking for my first car and,of course,i'm searching an XJ 4.0. I've found two very interesting cars,but they are '95-'97 models,and there's a particular that i don't like : that orrible steering wheel with airbag,bleah! My question is this : is possible replace the one with airbag with a classic and wonderful Jeep steering wheel?? (like XJ's till '94 or YJ's)

Thank you very much and sorry for my unperfect English,CIAO!!!!!!

I'm sure it's possible - as I recall, they used a standard GM column until 1996 (just with a Chrysler key from 1991-1995.) You'll probably get an Airbag light from removing the thing, as I've not seen an "airbag module simulator" anywhere.

Also, you may want to check with your national insurance regs and your motor vehicle safety regs (like our FMVSS - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) to make sure you're not doing something that could get you clobbered. Messing with equipment considered "essential to safety" can result in some pretty horrendous fines, which should really be avoided (that's why I don't like newer cars - safety lies between the ears, not in equipment.)

However, I'm fairy sure that the "stem" at the top of the column is a standard goodie, and it will accept a standard GM steering wheel. Also, there are aftermarket steering wheels (over here, anyhow - I've not been to Italy since 1992) and adapter kits to mount them as well. You'll need a couple of common tools to change the steering wheel - a lock plate pressor and a steering wheel puller come to mind - but they should be readily available at well-stocked parts houses, and reasonably priced.

If you can and do change the steering wheel, don't throw the old one away! Take it to a body shop and sell it - you should be able to recover the cost of what you've done. There was a rash of airbag thefts over here a few years ago, when airbag modules still cost upwards of US$1000. The prices has come down considerably, but it should still be enough that it will pay you back for tools and parts (and probably buy you lunch besides.)

Buy a steering wheel adapter for a 92 dakota, they use the same column but dont have an airbag. Then you could use any aftermarket wheel you want.

JeepFreak21 said:
FWIW, I didn't get any lights on my '95 after swapping steering wheels... but my airbag deployed before I made the decision :)
Billy

Oops. I need to check on the second-gen airbags anyhow. I know I could legally the the first-gen ones disabled under FMVSS - I'm over six feet and over 200# - and my wife is under 5'4". That puts both of us in categories where either the airbag would do more harm than good (her) or do no good whatever (me.) Supposedly, they're better - but I think we're taking the wrong approach to vehicle safety. Let's stop passing and certifying incompetents - this will lessen traffic and make the roads safer!

That's one of my major pet peeves about my 96. I remember having to change out the plastic 3-spoke on my 92 to get the leather wrapped one I had loved on my 88 and 94. I will say that I'm glad I didn't have an airbag when I rolled both of them. I do miss the feel of driving with it, now that you've brought this up.

I found a wheel on ebay with an adapter, will this work on my 95?

Did you forget something?
hsugh.gif

Billy

i just wanted an answer so i pushed and pushed and finally got one! haha i think i am going to go with a weld on b/c 53guys is close to 80 or so bux

Back