• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poor college kid trying to avoid an SYE...

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is probably a dumb question, and quite possibly one that was covered before but my searches yielded nothing. I believe that a rear driveshaft for an AX-15 equipped XJ should be longer than an AW4 equipped one because the AW4 is longer. I am at 4" of lift on my 97 AW4 NP231 with a 1" transfercase drop and am getting very subtle vibes around 35mph and nowhere else. Would it be possible to swap in a driveshaft out of an AX-15 equipped XJ and have it push the slip yoke back to where it's supposed to be?

Also would like to confirm that using a YJ slip yoke either wouldn't work or would buy me nothing.

Flame on.

a yj yoke may help a bit, I'm pretty sure the aw4 with d35 is the longest shaft out there

Do you have rear shims? Thats probably the cheapest corrective step at this point.

I have a 1" block, a bastard pack and 1.5" shackles. I have a 2" block laying around that I was thinking about having my school's machine shop cut down to 1" with a taper after taking some degree measurements on the pinion and driveshaft.

go hack and tap...its a true sye and is very cheap

JKMotorsports said:
Got a H&T for sale for 96+ TCases.

I did the GoJeep Yoke style SYE and it was fairly inexpensive and solid.

stronger than h+t? I thought it would be about the same

yj yoke will not work on a 97 xj, ditch the blocks all together, whats your basted pack made up of? look around for some s10 or dakota leaves

ROBZ95Xj said:
yj yoke will not work on a 97 xj, ditch the blocks all together, whats your basted pack made up of? look around for some s10 or dakota leaves
Uhmm,actually the 97+ comes with a YJ yoke,so it must fit!!

just do the sye, for 150 bucks for the PORC one you can't go wrong.

subtile vibes at 35 mph would be a godsend for most people...

i had the same thing happen when i first installed my 4.5" kit (1' tc drop & 4* shims), but after about 100 miles or so, everything worked itself into place...no complaints

but if your lift is new, give it a few miles so you can save your money and do your sye kit right in the future...short-term fixes are usually just that, sort-term...

good luck

Back