• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Green could fix it.

CrawlingCritter

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe somebody has had this happen to them... If I start my jeep with the heater turned on she runs extremely rough and can barely pull out of her own shadow. If I turn the ignition off, turn the heater off and restart she runs smooth as silk. Sounds like a vacuum problem and/or something controlled by vacuum that works better without the heat on when starting. Anybody got any ideas what to look for???:bawl: Thanks in advance.

if you turn and the left turn signal and the horn honks then..........................................................

I dont know what to tell ya!!!

Please check vacuum accumulator bottle behind front bumper for a degraded,torn rubber fitting at end of black bottle(the accumulator).If we're talking about an XJ.Very high failure rate.

When you say "heater" do you crank it all the way to "defrost"?

If so you could be having some kind of drain from the A/C compressor cycling. Can't think of any other reason the heat on would cause a poor running condition.

If not :dunno:
...and no, never had that kind of problem.

I just giggled b/c you referred to Red Green. I haven't heard that name is years. I used to have a Boss that had an autographed picture of Red Green on his desk.

Hope you get it fixed.

Sounds like a big vacuum leak that is activated by turning the heat on. Is there a vacuum operated heater hose-coolant valve near the heater core under the hood? Also check all the vacuum operated controls and damper valves in the cab for a bad valve or loose hose. Nead to get deep into the dash areas to do this! and turn the blower to low and listen for a vacuum leak!

The heater valve is vacuum operated. Also, all the flaps under the dash are vacuum operated. I'd check the heater valve on the passenger side.

Fred

i'm inclined to think you just have an issue with power-loss from the a/c compressor running.. have you tried simply turning the heat on and off while its running crappy??
is this a new problem? a new-to-you XJ?

sidriptide said:
i'm inclined to think you just have an issue with power-loss from the a/c compressor running.. have you tried simply turning the heat on and off while its running crappy??
is this a new problem? a new-to-you XJ?

IAC should compensate for idle speed and quality though-- I think there's still something else acting up. I'm still voting for vacuum leak.

Shorty said:
IAC should compensate for idle speed and quality though-- I think there's still something else acting up. I'm still voting for vacuum leak.
I'm guessing the heater fan is sucking down the voltage, along with a lower than normal battery charge right after start. It's been my experience that the IAC needs all the juice it can get to function properly, I've had them act up when my battery is starting to get marginal.
It may be the A/C causing the trouble though, if the A/C signal to the ECU isn't happening (wire or connector) to up the idle a little, the idle gets really low and sluggish. It may even stall the motor when it's cold. My A/C signal doesn't happen on occasion, the motor lugs and chugs.

CrawlingCritter said:
Maybe somebody has had this happen to them... If I start my jeep with the heater turned on she runs extremely rough and can barely pull out of her own shadow. If I turn the ignition off, turn the heater off and restart she runs smooth as silk. Sounds like a vacuum problem and/or something controlled by vacuum that works better without the heat on when starting. Anybody got any ideas what to look for???:bawl: Thanks in advance.

FYI Its always good to turn off your AC/ Heater and anything else you have on wipers etc. Before you shut off your engine. WHY? Think about it. When you switch something on and off it takes more power to start than it does to run. Relays. So when you turn on your key the Jeep is trying to start everything at once. TCM, AC/HEATER, ECM not to mention all the sensors, fuel pump, injectors, radio, etc. There simply isnt enuff power for everything. Thats why it doesnt run rough when you start with everything off. I may be way off base with this but it is a good habit to get into.

Just my .02 Good luck :cheers:

Of course this seams to be the same thing 8MUD told ya. My bad.

Back