• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not starting

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
ok here it is... i replaced 2 of the injectors, broke the map vacuum hose. fixed that. now it just isnt starting. the battery didnt have enough juice so i put a new one in, still wont start. it did fire twice, but didnt kick over completely. dont want to kill this battery. any more suggestions? my mind is fried!!!!!

oh i did pull the plugs to the injectors i repolaced & they both were wet (gas). didnt have all my tools with to get to the others. #3 plug was wet, #4 plug wet, #5 plug was dry. what is goin on with my jeep? i need it on the road like 3 days ago!!

oh just a silly question.... how do get into chat on this site? or dont ya have that feature? just thought i'd ask.

What year? What do the spark plugs look like if you pull them out? Did you crank it over while pressing on the gas pedal? Injectors on Renix years are best replaced in sets (5.0 Motorsport).

1989 xj 4.0 inline 6. the 3 plugs i pulled where kinda dark (carbon). hit them with an emry board to clean 'em up. didnt have a long enough extention to get the rest of them out. (too much crap in the way to just reach in & pull 'em out).

Carefully check your vacuum lines around the injectors, maybe one got pulled lose. Still, it sounds like the vacuum is disconnected from the MAP sensor to me. Thats a small plastic line--easy to crack or plug up if you had it off.

I have seen someone silicone the hose to the throttle body sealing it shut but it would start up and then after 30 seconds maybe run like crap and die. You might unplug/reconnect the crank sensor connector and see if it starts then. Make sure the plugs are clean.

ok, i'll check all that tomorrow. too dark & far away to play with it tonight. (about 3/4 mile walk to it). yea i was thinkin of changing them (plugs) out too. (a 2 day pay makes it a slight bit difficult to get things).
talked to my brother, he said to make sure i was getting spark. anorther "tomorrow" thing.

thanks guys.

ok did 99% of the suggested things Hasta. the plugs are "clean" , still nothing. though they are covered in gas (flooded). gonna pull the air intake off & hold open the choke to let more air in while tryin to start it.

wish me luck & thanks for all the info. :gee:

A lot of people don't realize you can flood a fuel injected car but you can. You should never pump or hold the gas open more than slight while cranking. You need to clean them and pull the coil wire and crank it over to blow out the gas in the cylinders.

If yours was a 91-up it would be easier since the Chrysler controlled ones have a clear flood feature in which you could just hold the throttle wide open and crank it over. When the engine controller sees a WOT when cranking it turns the fuel injectors off.

MJR said:
If yours was a 91-up it would be easier since the Chrysler controlled ones have a clear flood feature in which you could just hold the throttle wide open and crank it over. When the engine controller sees a WOT when cranking it turns the fuel injectors off.
Clear flood mode has saved me so many times on my 92xj.

MJR said:

Ya learn something new everyday.

Back