• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Absolutely dont wanna do this!

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have searched and found a ton of usefull info on the subject but want 1 clear deffinative answer. On a DD, 94' manual trans XJ, will an aussie or lockright locker affect my steering capability? not sure if i have vac-disconnect or not.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Ok so i have searched and found a ton of usefull info on the subject but want 1 clear deffinative answer. On a DD, 94' manual trans XJ, will an aussie or lockright locker affect my steering capability? not sure if i have vac-disconnect or not.

Under what circumstances? Locker in front or rear axle (or both)?

PS: You do not have vac-disconnect.

Not concerned about rear axle only the front want to put either an aussie or lockright.

it wil hurt your conering a il in tight spaces when in 4wd, when in 2wd it will be invisible

Never thought about the snowy roads dont wanna be going to turn and end up going straight! HMM some food for thought gonna have to really think about that. Though ive never used the 4 wheel in the snow well not true, the one time i did was because there was 6 inches of the fluffy stuff with 2 more of the packed stuff under it and i had people in the jeep, dont care about me but i was resposible for them. So i suppose worst case would be to push in the clutch and disengage it right before the cornner.:thumbup:

I have an Aussie in front (non-disco) and let me tell you, the offroad gains i get are TREMENDOUS, and i have no clue it's there when on the street. ONLY in real tight u-turns at times can i hear it quietly ratchet a bit, but i don't feel it so much. Yes, a locker can be interesting in the slippery stuff, but you appear to not wheel in snow very often, I say go for it!

JeepFreak21 said:
Exactly why XJ_ranger was unable to talk me into putting one up front (even with manual hubs).
Billy

Good decision. I had a LS in the front of my DD Bronco (Detroit in rear) and it was down right dangerous in the winter in 4WD (not a problem in 2, with the manual hubs).

That's why I spent the extra coin on ARBs for the XJ--best of both worlds.

mecompco said:
I agree. Also, IDK if you drive in any winter snow, but a locked front in 4WD on slick roads is not a particularly safe setup. I don't think I'd want an auto locker in front, but I know lots of guys run that way.
I have a no slip front and rear, i run 4wd in the winter and have found it to be quite fun :helpme: You have to learn to drive again. Some times if it is not turning the way you want, turn a little more and goose it a little and the front will bite and pull it right around. You kinda have to drive like a front wheel drive car. In tight places on the ice, it can be a little rough.

ARB or OX for the front if you have to deal with street conditions that warrant 4WD (snow/ice). Lock the rear first if your budget calls for an Aussie or a Lockrite. Just don't gun it through corners.

OK thanks for the advice, so in your opinions what is better aussie, powertrax, or lockright. Personal preferences on which is best for front or rear axles?

94XJ2door5speed said:
OK thanks for the advice, so in your opinions what is better aussie, powertrax, or lockright. Personal preferences on which is best for front or rear axles?

I'd get an Aussie... just because of the great reviews (from people I trust)... but I can't say I had much trouble with the lockright I had in the last rig (except in the snow ;))
Billy

94XJ2door5speed said:
a "autolocker" in the rear if a manual rig is not fun, very unpredictable when driving

I have a aussie in my front and love it on and offroad, I did take it out for winter though becuase of the stories i have heard. I would get a aussie for the rear to if it were available for the 8.25

I have front and rear lock rites in my MJ and the front has been in for two years.
haven't seen much snow here in Cincy but what little I have run I didn't think the front locker was an issue as long as you didn't try to power through a turn ..just like off road in the mud the locker releases when you take your foot off the gas and turns just fine every time for me.
but I have very very limited time in the snow on the road so everyone is gonna have different experience.
As for brand it don't matter I got mine from private owners so the deal was there.
I think Aussie has about the best pricing so they are a good choice
in any case you will love the performance even if you have to change your on road driving habits a little in the snow.

I have lockrites front and rear on my xj and I love them. Offroad they are pure bliss. On road they click around corners and if you punch it around the corner it will lock and you will chirp the tires. So as long as you don't drive like a jackass then you are good to go.

On the slippery stuff that is a whole other story. Our chapter went for a snow run in Big Bear a few weeks ago and the lockers did not like the ice. We were in ice ruts going down the backside of the mountain and the abs and ice were making the lockers crunch. There were 2 instances that I thought the lockers were toast due to the sound but they ended up being ok.

So if you have the chance put the auto up front and then a selectable in the rear if you have ice often. If not then get the autos all around. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Well I'm about to find out, I'm driving the trail rig in the snow this year and its got a Aussie in the front and a TrueTrac in the rear(for now). The last locked/locked rig I drove on the in the ice was SBC powered CJ-5(manual). I went for one heck of a ride one morning on some black ice.

I think the XJ with a longer wheel base, auto, and less power than the SBC in the CJ-5 may be ok. I'm a very conservative driver and light on the throttle.

I'll be puckered up on the seat when the snow/ice hits!

Back