• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump problema

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
well, basically got an 89' xj 4.0L. and everytime i run it i notice a slightly pressured stream dripping off my crankshaft pully. if i turn the truck off it'll simmer down until it doesn't leak. so im tihkning somewhere on the water pump (couldnt see where for the life of me) that there is a leak or something. should i go ahead and swap it out?

Mopar It said:
well, basically got an 89' xj 4.0L. and everytime i run it i notice a slightly pressured stream dripping off my crankshaft pully. if i turn the truck off it'll simmer down until it doesn't leak. so im tihkning somewhere on the water pump (couldnt see where for the life of me) that there is a leak or something. should i go ahead and swap it out?

I would check the water outlet first, they can crack or just leak. The outlets a cheap fix, 9$. Is the water pump shaft solid?

no ideer i gotta go look its pouring rain and ive been driving the gmc sierra since it started leaking ill get out today and inspect maybe take a few pics. whats the water outlet like the thermostat housing?

Mopar It said:
no ideer i gotta go look its pouring rain and ive been driving the gmc sierra since it started leaking ill get out today and inspect maybe take a few pics. whats the water outlet like the thermostat housing?

Yes it could be running down but might be the water pump although it usually drips off the lower rad hose.

Mopar It said:

Yes, the water outlet is the t-stat housing. Its a brittle alluminum outlet on the 91-2001, I couldn't say what it is on yours. The water pump is pretty easy to change, I think they are pretty cheap, the new pumps are only 35$ at checker.

BillBraski said:
Its a brittle alluminum outlet on the 91-2001

The factory one has always been aluminum 87-up 4.0L's. There are aftermarket steel ones for the 87-90. They only break when installing because the installer doesn't notice the t-stat moving out of the correct location in the head and when you tighten the housing down the t-stat gets inbetween and then the housing breaks.

MJR said:
They only break when installing because the installer doesn't notice the t-stat moving out of the correct location in the head and when you tighten the housing down the t-stat gets inbetween and then the housing breaks.
I've broken one when installing a t-stat (the t-stat sits pretty well in the head, dosent fall out) because I tighened the bottom bolt (near the serp belt)
too much before the top. Then it started shooting steam out a hairline crack, and i replaced it. Always tourqe the bolts to 30 lb. and check the tourqe after 1 or 2 heat cycles as with any aluminum.

BillBraski said:
I've broken one when installing a t-stat (the t-stat sits pretty well in the head, dosent fall out) because I tighened the bottom bolt (near the serp belt)
too much before the top. Then it started shooting steam out a hairline crack, and i replaced it. Always tourqe the bolts to 30 lb. and check the tourqe after 1 or 2 heat cycles as with any aluminum.

I always put the t-stat in, use a little rtv on the gasket (smear both sides), hold the housing on and while doing that spin the bolts in all the way by hand, and then tighten them. They are small bolts and don't need to be bubba tight.

MJR said:
I always put the t-stat in, use a little rtv on the gasket (smear both sides), hold the housing on and while doing that spin the bolts in all the way by hand, and then tighten them. They are small bolts and don't need to be bubba tight.

Factory says 30 lb on them, thats not that much.

Back