• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No fuel pressure !!!

92SportXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Well I'll start from the beginning, 5 months ago I changed my fuel pump in my 92 Cherokee with a 4.0 engine after it died and everything was back to normal, so I thought. Well today on the way to Kelowna while on the Coqu. Hwy it died again on a blind bend, that will load your pants. I had the truck towed to Hope and got another fuel pump put it in and pressure builds and then just dies off stalling the engine. We then changed then fuel filter and still no changed, we then took out the pressure reg and checked it and still no worky.
The only thing left is that dumb ass resistor.
If any one has had this happen or knows what might be causing this please help.

Christopher

Does it start and then stall? Does it have the factory theft system that cuts the fuel out? You can bypass the ballast resistor with some wire to see if that's it. Also you can swap out the fuel pump relay to see if that's a problem.

Last edited:
Yes, I had fuel pump issues this past summer as well. Replaced it with one from the stealership after I gave him the vin# and everything, made the 1/2hr trip in to get the pump and was a little concerned bc it was 1/2 the size! I thought if the dealership had this problem they would make it work, so I did. Well it worked for a week and puked out again. Felt like I was running out of fuel. Took it into my mechanic and he said it was the fuel pump, no pressure at the rail, so I called the dealership and had them order the part# that was on the old pump I removed, the oem one, and made the 1/2hr trip in again that night. This time it was smaller again, so I showed him the oem bosch and he had it shipped in from a local parts guy in 15 min. Bam, just like original. Slapped that in and worked for a week, died. Shite!! Back to my mechanic and the pressure was good but the coil was pooched, no spark! I was advised by 5-90 that you can ignore the ballast resistor, I've been replacing them every 6 months when they died but I guess you can just put a jumper in there and forget it. Hope this helps.

Thanks guy's for your help, we are heading out today and I'll try bypassing the resistor and see if that works. Also this truck doesn't have the factory theft system so I can rule that one out.

If that resistor doesnt work, another thing you can check is the ground wire coming off the pump assembly that sits in the tank. I know I had a hell of a time figuring this one out.

If you look at the assembly, the ground wire grounds itself onto the fuel tubes exiting the assembly (you'll see what I'm talking about it if you look at it).

What happened to mine is there is a tab that is welded to the tubes to keep them from shaking, and the ground is supposed to travel over that as well.

Well on mine, the weld broke so with the vehicle running it would sometimes ground itself, and sometimes not. Hence my jeep would stall out at random times with brand new fuel pumps and filters.

Just somethin else to check for ya.

Back