• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ELECTRICAL Problem: No-power/marginal-intermittent power...

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Your HELP is needed, gents, and much appreciated!

History:

- Last Mon. night, I tried to start the '99, got the not-uncommon brief kick with no start...then, further cranking with no life whatsoever. Didn't want to run the battery down further, so jumped from another battery, and crenked further. No start, no kick at all. Then...tried some throttle while cranking, and it DID start, but would die when the throttle was released. Left it...

- Got back to it a few days later, and found that the battery was (or seemed to be) quite low, with brief interior-light illumination, and did get onoe brief crank after a bit of trying. Tried a sharger-jump, didn't help. Tried a new and recently-acquired battery, still nothing but brief low-power/interior lights, but no crank.

- Today, tried the known-good battery from the wife's car, and nothing.

- IS it POSSIBLE that, with recent snow-ice on the bumper, and terminals exposed (yes, I had intended to seal them...), that the ice created a bridge and caused a short...? Or, could have even occurrred in the relay box, as that is mounted on the bumper as well... I'm not sure whether or not the initial non-start problem is the same as the current/continuing no-start problem, or may have initially been water in gas, etc. {Wish I had kept it running, when it did first start with somme throttle, but had to go...}

[I jumped from pos. terminal to starter, and got nothing from the igntition switch...but assume something in the system must require power to complete a 'start' circuit?]

- WHAT, in the main electrical system, could cause an intermittency? Again, it wasn't a matter of previously-working, then absolutely nothing...

Please advise what I can check, in what logical order, and how to do so...

VERY much appreciated!!!!!

Not sure what to suggest for your electrical issue other than the basics (bad battery cables, bad ground, etc).

As for getting it to start, I had to go through the same thing. When I found my XJ, it was sitting dead on a dealer's lot. The DRL module was faulty and drained the battery completely. This reset the computer, meaning it no longer knew how to idle. To get the computer to re-learn, you need to start it with your foot on the gas a bit and hold it to around 1500 rpm for several minutes. Once you've repaired whatever's sucking your power, of course.

Yes, i did revitalize ground connections last year, and connections at terminals are sound. Will re-check ground connections, though..

What is the 'DRL'...?

Thanks!

Back