• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a quick answer

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i just lifted my 88' xj 3 inches and now i have vides that are getting worse the more i drive so i'm gonna change the u-joints. my question is, will just changing the rear 2 u-joints fix it or do i have to do the front ones too. also if i have to do the front ones how many front u-joints are there? thanks

It could just be the U joints but Its more likely the angle that the drive shaft is at now. Did you adjust your pinion angle in the rear when you did the lift. Did you install new leaf packs? Did you install shims for the leaf packs. There should only be 2 U joints for the front. Did you install a slip yoke eliminator kit for the tcase. did you drop the tcase? If you did then it made the angle better for the rear but made it worse for the front driveshaft.
Basically we need more info to help you out.

i put new leaf packs and no shims or sye or shims. i have been told that since usually on older xj's like mine a 3 inch drop shouldn't affect the angles too much that i will get vibe, the problem probably is the u-joints being worn in a pattern and then changing that pattern. also, at first there was not noise or vibes and over the last month it has slowly gotten to be very loud so i would assume that it is the u-joints. what do you think?

its at my dads garage and i'm just going to pick up the parts now and head over there so i want to know if i need the fron u-joints as well.

well, when you lift a jeep the rear driveline angle changes which affects the rear u-joints, do you think there is the same affect on the front ones?

With an 88 you are not likely going to have issues with a 3" lift that require a SYE or TC drop. I would check the wear pattern on your tires. You shifted your front axle when you lifted the front end and that needs to be corrected if it has not already been done. I would bet if you put on a new or different set of tires the vibes will go away.

You should first do this as a process of elimination. First try shimming the rear leafs, with a 3" lift I'd go with 4* shim. If it still vibrates, try a transfer case lowering block.

As for the front axle you don't have to really worry to much.. For one the D30 is a high pinion axle which doesn't put the driveling angle as steep as the rear... does that make sense to anyone???

Anyway good luck.
Scott Suyeto

ScottyDog said:
You should first do this as a process of elimination. First try shimming the rear leafs, with a 3" lift I'd go with 4* shim. If it still vibrates, try a transfer case lowering block.

As for the front axle you don't have to really worry to much.. For one the D30 is a high pinion axle which doesn't put the driveling angle as steep as the rear... does that make sense to anyone???

Anyway good luck.
Scott Suyeto
thanks, finally some useful information. also, i put new 31's on when i lifted it so it shouldn't be the tires

you cant just say 4* shims...do you have a d35 im assuming? You should be able to get away with just a t-case drop.

I only needed 3* shims with an 8.25 (longer pinion therefore shorter d-shaft).

You sound like you're looking for a quick answer so here.

Change out all the u-joints for preventative maintenance. Make sure your front axle is centered with no play in the trac bar. Rotate your tires and then throw a t-case drop on. If none of that helps, then try shims. What degree? Well if you dont want to go purchase a cheap angle finder then I'd suggest 2-3* shims at most.

That more of what you're looking for?

did you get an alignment?

to rule out the front shaft for problems, remove it and take for ride.

for the rear, i have rustys 3" springs on my 89 and it came with shims. i have no vibs. try going to his site to get a phone number and call and ask what degree shim comes with his 3" lift.

what does your 3" lift consist of? parts?

Back