• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Carrier Idea

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Well, one of my friends is bringing his welder back to school and we're planning on building a tire carrier for my jeep.

well, here's the deal: I wanna keep my stock bumper but I want a swingout tire carrier.

I saw a Cherokee one time that had a piece of square tubing that ran accross the back of the bumper with two arms that wrapped around the bottom of the bumper and were welded to the trailer hitch cross bar. I'm running a Hidden Hitch and the tongue weight is 300 lbs, but i never tow anything... Would this be legit?

no i dont I actually saw it on a white Cherokee Classic up at 4 wheel parts in Raleigh... I was talking to the guy that built it too, they had since sold the jeep too though.

I had these pics on file, I can't remember where I got them.

hitchtirecarier2.jpg

hitchtirecarier1.jpg

hitchtirecarier.jpg

yeah, just like those. How did those work out for you? I like that sleved setup.

My brother was looking for a way to store his spare and located those pics. i never did build it for him but I like them both actually.

A guy could build that in a weekend

jaburk said:
The sleeved setup looks like it would rattle like crazy.

very true...

just make a bracket that bolt to the stock location and extends over to one side of the tailgate. Then get a license plate bracket w/ a built in light and extend the wiring from the stock location.

I have done this. It's not a popular thing to do, I searched a lot and found the one that was on the red XJ. I went a different route though. We had a bunch of 1/4" steel laying around that I used. I had to buy 2" square tubing for the swing though, about $25. I made brackets that attach behind the stock bumper and bolt into the back of the unibody behind the shackle. This is the same place the factory tire carrier's support bolts into. Two brackets vertical behind the bumper into the unibody. Then, a plate bolts to those through the stock bumper. That plate is the base of my swing away. The rest is pretty simple, whatever style swing you want and a place on the other side of the bumper for the swinging end to latch to. When open, it does deflect a little with a good amount of weight on it, but latched the steel springs more than the mounts move when you really shake the tire.

Bought a $5 trailer license plate light and wired it into my tail light. HERE is a link for the latch I bought, like $21 shipped.

search for the detours tailbone, copy that.

tailbone is too complicated. I'll just mount it to the hitch.

98XJROKS said:

hitchtirecarier2.jpg

hitchtirecarier1.jpg

hitchtirecarier.jpg

LOL, that was my old XJ. It did rattle a little but nothing too crazy. Cost me $25 to make it. I used it for over 4 years too.

Search my user name shelbyluvv on JU, there was a whole thread on it. Look for homefab tire carrier or something or other.

Last edited:
98XJROKS said:

hitchtirecarier2.jpg

hitchtirecarier1.jpg

hitchtirecarier.jpg

I know that Jeep.

That was my old XJ. It did rattle a little but nothing too crazy. Cost me $25 to make it. I used it for over 4 years also!

Seach SHELBYLUVV on JU there was a whole thread on this thing.

Last edited:
Nice use for a busted axleshaft, too.

shelbyluvv said:
I know that Jeep.

That was my old XJ. It did rattle a little but nothing too crazy. Cost me $25 to make it. I used it for over 4 years also!

Seach SHELBYLUVV on JU there was a whole thread on this thing.

I saw that XJ just a couple of days ago. ;)

Back