• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how necesary are bead locks?

white_elephant

NAXJA Forum User
so yeah..how necesary are they?? no im not thinking of getting them ..but

like i want to run boggers..but i dont see people airing them down....or radial tires..only by plyas or w.e...

and i dont find black beadlocks that are nice...only crhome ones...:smsoap:

I run 12psi in rocks with 35x12.50 on 15x8s...5-6 in snow. I've never lost a bead.

By the way, Boggers are "by plyas".

If you do any serious off roading, airing down the tires to 5 or less lbs, it is very easy for a bead to pop off. Now conventional bead locks, only hold one bead on, but keep the tire from coming off all the way. Staun bead locks(search them) allow you to run a standard wheel without having to buy beadlocks or make your own(diy kits).

They also stop all the crap from getting in your beads and causing loss of air pressure. That is almost more annoying to me than popping a bead off. I hate cleaning out my beads after every run.

Allied Rockathon's are black and cheap (for beadlocks), but the outer ring is a little thin.

I run H1 double beadlocks and during the winter I air down to 1-3 psi, for the rocks I'm usually down around 6. I can't say for certian how many times they've kept me from loosing a bead since I don't even think about it. It's nice not having to worry about loosing a bead. Personally I think beadlocks are a necessity, kinda like a winch and lockers, just my opinion.

My wheels are 16 x 8ish, with beadlock outers. With 39.5x13.5 bias Iroks I've got one tire that LOVES to lose the inner bead. All the time. I don't know why, but I run the rest at 6 psi and they hook up great. That one starts the day at 30 psi and is usually flat by the end of it due to burping air out of the bead...next time I have that tire off I may silicone the inner bead to see if it helps. However, as many times as I've lost the inner bead on that tire, I've had no problems reseating it on the trail with a hi-lift and CO2 bottle.

No chrome here.

n24800499_31827129_5362.jpg

A good way to keep the bead from popping cheaply is to run a little narrower rim w/ the wide tires. It will suck the sidewall in a little but the tire still flattens out nice when aired down. The tire bead will push out against the narrow rim when aired down keeping it seated. I have run as low as 8 lbs (yeah I know not super low but low enough) on my 285/75-16 on 16x7 wheels. No popped beads yet while wheeling fairly tough trails and also running in soft sand fast and sliding around corners. It certainly works better than if running a wider wheel.

vetteboy said:
My wheels are 16 x 8ish, with beadlock outers. With 39.5x13.5 bias Iroks I've got one tire that LOVES to lose the inner bead. All the time. I don't know why, but I run the rest at 6 psi and they hook up great. That one starts the day at 30 psi and is usually flat by the end of it due to burping air out of the bead...next time I have that tire off I may silicone the inner bead to see if it helps. However, as many times as I've lost the inner bead on that tire, I've had no problems reseating it on the trail with a hi-lift and CO2 bottle.

No chrome here.

n24800499_31827129_5362.jpg

you need bigger tires!!

If you do any serious off roading, airing down the tires to 5 or less lbs, it is very easy for a bead to pop off. Now conventional bead locks, only hold one bead on, but keep the tire from coming off all the way. Staun bead locks(search them) allow you to run a standard wheel without having to buy beadlocks or make your own(diy kits).

Eli

DIY vs. Internal

What works better?

Thanks
Jason

A good way to keep the bead from popping cheaply is to run a little narrower rim w/ the wide tires. It will suck the sidewall in a little but the tire still flattens out nice when aired down. The tire bead will push out against the narrow rim when aired down keeping it seated. I have run as low as 8 lbs (yeah I know not super low but low enough) on my 285/75-16 on 16x7 wheels. No popped beads yet while wheeling fairly tough trails and also running in soft sand fast and sliding around corners. It certainly works better than if running a wider wheel.

Not nessasarily true. I run a 33x13.5x15 Pitbull Rockers on a 15x8 Crager soft 8 in hopes of doing that same thing. I have popped a total of 4 beads now. Twice it's been the front pass, once the drivers front, and one was on the rear pass. This has happened at all pressures just on the trails. I had it aired down to 7psi, 12psi, 15psi, and 20 psi. I don't want to go up anymore because 20 is what I run on the streets.

Something you also have to considered is there is a grey area about beadlocks being D.O.T. approved. If you wheel hard and get in hairy spots it's probally a good investment. Let me tell you it sucks when a bead goes when your off camber.

Parakeet

I'm running 17X8 BTR Racing Beadlocks with 35X12.5 KM2s and the tire shop has a hard time unseating the rear bead with the valve stem out. I had to put 40psi in them to get them to seat. I run 4psi in the sand and 10psi in the rocks and absolutely love them.

DSC03843.jpg

Nice combination you have there!

How necessary are bead locks? Depends on who you talk to, and/or what you like to do.
Trail riding? Not necessary.
Serious rock crawling? Necessary.
Serious sand/dune running? Not required but recommended.
Off road racing? Depends on the class (TT; required, Jeepspeed; not :D)
Looking cool on the street? Necessary.*

*for this application, internal bead locks will not work. If you can't see 'em, they don't count.

Not nessasarily true. I run a 33x13.5x15 Pitbull Rockers on a 15x8 Crager soft 8 in hopes of doing that same thing. I have popped a total of 4 beads now. Twice it's been the front pass, once the drivers front, and one was on the rear pass. This has happened at all pressures just on the trails. I had it aired down to 7psi, 12psi, 15psi, and 20 psi. I don't want to go up anymore because 20 is what I run on the streets.

Something you also have to considered is there is a grey area about beadlocks being D.O.T. approved. If you wheel hard and get in hairy spots it's probally a good investment. Let me tell you it sucks when a bead goes when your off camber.

Parakeet

Its funny, cause I run 33x13.5x15 Toyo M/T's on 15x10 Cragar Soft 8's, and I have yet to lose a bead. I'm at 10-12psi each run, and other than hitting the rims on rocks every once in a good while, I've never had a problem. I tend to beat the crap out of my stuff too.

I guess either I'm lucky, or you're unlucky?

Back