• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Speaker Problem in a '00

CJCOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '00 that at the same time both front speakers went out, there is no factory amp it is the basic sound system. Has this happened to anyone before, I checked the wiring behind the headunit and it is fine. Any help is apreciated.

Happened in my 00 as well...i ended up having the stereo shop re-wire them when they put in my CD player....work fine now. they couldnt figure out why the speakers werent working - so they just ran new wires for me.

HTH...

Same thing happened to my 00. Had to run new wires also. If you figure it out let us know.

Had this happen to my daughter's '99. Intermittent sound from the driver's side speaker, then it didn't work at all. The wires were OK, it was the factory connector on the ends of the speaker wires at the speaker that were bad. Since I was replacing the speakers, I just clipped off the old connectors and crimped on new ones. It's been working fine ever since. So before you go to the effort of replacing the wires, clip off the connectors, strip the ends of the wires, hold them to the terminals on the speaker and see if the speaker will work.

Same thing happened to my 99 on the drivers side. It just blows my mind how so many heeps end up with the same problems.

What no one has explained yet is that the factory speaker wires very often break in the door hinge area from flexing when you open/close the door. The best fix is to run new wires from the inside of the Jeep to the speakers, bypassing the original defective wires. Anyone can do this repair in the driveway.

Go here --> http://1984-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-wiring-info.html - to see the the colors of the speakers wires that you need to repair.

The ground wire is soldered with the tweeder ground wire right after the door jam. The wire gets brittle with all of the heat the factory used to solder the 3 wires together and breaks. You should only have to run a new ground wire or repair the connection.

Same in my 2000. Driver's door speaker cut in and out for about 2 weeks, then quit

if they started to go out then quit then check the wires between the door jams, mine went out on my 97, i found a short and spliced it together and waaalaaa it worked,

I was extremely frustrated with the front driver's side speaker cutting out. Tried fixing it 3 times. I finally bought 4 Pioneer 6.5" speakers and that fixed the problem. I believe the problem was in the connector and not the wire itself. Wire became too short with the previous fixes causing the speaker to lose connection.

X10 -- My 2000 same. Hardest part will be pulling the door panels. At least the rear speakers still work. And you're right, the passanger window only works from the drivers side. Another job to put on the summer list.

Back