• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning valve cover

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i'm planning on taking off my valve cover and cleaning it as well as replacing all the pcv lines and the rear grommet. i get alot of oil in my airbox and want to try to stop this. my question is, when i clean the valve cove should i take the baffles off and clean them, and replace the flap in the baffle by cutting out a new flap out of cork gasket? also i thought maybe if i shortened the baffles about half an inch the would draw less oil? what do you think of that, has anyone ever done this?

mitsumotors said:
i'm planning on taking off my valve cover and cleaning it as well as replacing all the pcv lines and the rear grommet. i get alot of oil in my airbox and want to try to stop this. my question is, when i clean the valve cove should i take the baffles off and clean them, and replace the flap in the baffle by cutting out a new flap out of cork gasket? also i thought maybe if i shortened the baffles about half an inch the would draw less oil? what do you think of that, has anyone ever done this?

I took mine off and cleaned them, and it was well worth it. I also read that its a good idea to take about an inch off for that reason, but after research i became inconclusive about it. I Decided to leave it all as factory after the cleaning, and has been fantastic since then.

You can find some good info in this thread, more specifically the reffered page (#3)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33985&page=3

I did end up using RTV (black) for the baffle instead of the factory paper gaskets (Since a few broke when dissasembling), seems to be fine.

Two things lead to this. Either a lot of blowby in the engine or a plugged vacuum line/oriface at the rear of the valve cover.

The rear line pulls the vapors through into the combustion chamber and burns them. The front hose is the fresh air intake. If the blowby increases by too much it can end up in the fresh air line or if the oriface slowly plugs.

The early aluminum valve covers 87-95 have long towers extending downward which if the engine/Jeep is leaned enough (pretty far but I have done it more than once) to the left will fill with oil (since the oil drain back in the head is on the right side) and get sucked into the engine causing it to choke/smoke. I will at some time later drill a sufficent size hole in the right side of the rear tower near the top which should prevent this in the future.

Last edited:
MJR said:
Two things lead to this. Either a lot of blowby in the engine or a plugged vacuum line/oriface at the rear of the valve cover.

The rear line pulls the vapors through into the combustion chamber and burns them. The front hose is the fresh air intake. If the blowby increases by too much it can end up in the fresh air line or if the oriface slowly plugs.
X2, very well said

Back