• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what hose?

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
:firedevil ok so i replace 2 injectors. but in so doin, i broke some plastic hose that comes out of the "throttle body" back to some damn electrical part on the fire wall. i have a 1989 xj limited 4.0, wtf is that hose for & why wont my jeep start now?:fuse: any ideas as to how to make a "field repair" on said hose until i can get it replaced? its less than 1/8th " & about a foot long or so. i dont have the haynes manual yet so no i cant just look it up. & yes i did call around to the places i know that deal with jeeps. but unfortunately the guy had a 91 after they changed them over.:flamemad:

thanks for the help.
dont mean to be a pain in the a$$ but i'm totaly drawing a blank on this one.

if its on the fire wall and has a 3 pin weatherproof connector and one hose going into it than its probably your MAP or manifold absolute pressure sensor...and if the hose isnt hooked up it will not start...the hose has to be hooked up to a constant vacume from the manifold

Dude Butt Crack! I just ran into the same issue.. I've been following your thread :wave1: and just replaced the O-rings on my injectors and broke the same small vac line. I went to the auto parts store and picked up a foot of small rubber hose and patched the broken pieces together....

Scott

When you do replace that line (Scottydog's method will work fine) make sure that you get the double-teated plug right way around on the throttle body. One of the rubber thingamabobs has no hole in it, and one of the holes in the throttle body is blind. Make sure the thingamabob with the hole in it goes in the hole with the hole in it!

:yelclap: awsome guys thanks for the info. it did start 3 times, hell it even ran for about 11 miles or so. but there is only liike 1/8" of this plastic hose sticking out of the throttle body. not very sure if my buddy or i can get it out. (damn japanese engineering). but he is gonna be workin on it while im at work. (not looking forward to the 5 mile walk to work today). it kicks my a$$ now that im not exactly in shape any more :gee: . lol

well my buddy was workin on it for me today while i was at work. that thingamabob has 2 holes in it. yes i know the top hole is blind (dead), & the hose coming out of it is way too short to patch. so he has it rigged to the "top" hole & i'm just gonna do the "old" flip/flop with it :spin1: . now just about that "all but dead" battery. anyone here got one of those jumper boxes?

btw i walked home today too. my legs are dead & i REALY REALY dont want to walk tomorrow.:bawl:

ok yea im being a cry-baby about it now lol.

I have one of those jumper boxes. A bit far to travel tonight, though. Sorry.

A while ago they had a sale on Diehard boosters at Sears. For something like an ordinary gas engine boost, you don't need a very big one. I like them because you don't have to maneuver the car into place, and it's less likely to fry an alternator.

But it's no substitute for a good battery. A little less important on an 89 with the Renix system, but many fuel injection systems can't tolerate a bad battery even if the alternator is good. It's a common problem with the Chrysler system.

just replaced the battery, still not starting. the closest parts store (napa) wants $100 for those starter boxes, & that's the "cheapest" one they have. hence why i went with the $60 battery. just hope it aint the alternator. cant afford to replace that right now. (see thread "not starting" by me). havent burnt the starter up yet, tryin not to too.
in the morning i'll walk down & do some more checking of wires n such.

Last edited:
hey guys even after you fix the vac line you say it should start, right? wheat about after it was running for the appoximate 11 miles with out it? there are a few other things im gonna check when i get down to it. it has gas in the #3 & #4 cylanders, not sure about the #1,#2, & #6 cylanders (#5 was dry). there is spark. but the plugs are a "tiny bit" carbon covered :D yes i know how to fix that without replacing them.

Hasta ok for any of you following this. Hasta

A; took out the new injectors & put old injectors back in.
B; did that after installing a new battery.
C; now the new battery is completely dead. even had it hooked upo to a running truck for over 15 minutes lastnight. still wouldnt start, just cranked.
D; got a new MAP censor, havent installed it yet. not 100% sure that will fix it.

HELP!!!!!! :eye:

My jeep did the same thing everytime I tried to fix stuff under the hood awhile back. Your CPS maybe fried and have you checked the ballist resistor? Take a wirebrush to the terminals and re-install it and see it thats what it is doing it.

If it's cranking and not running, you're battery is fine (and may have been from the start...did you keep the old battery?)

I would take a look at the CPS. Some can get away with unplugging the replugging the connector by the top of the engine a few times and it sorta "resets" it for a little while (and I do mean little while). Definitely worth a try.

99xjsport06, that new battery has 2 volts in it, a day after being hooked to the running truck. yes i kept the old battery. got an ohm meter today & checked them both. the new batery is shot, the old battery has 12.19 volts now (after not being installed for 3 days).

so im taking the MAP censor (still in box, never installed) back after work & getting a CPS, & returning the new battery too.

i realy hate this "chase-n-replace" crap!!!

:clap: :party: im back on the road!!! the CPS fixed it!!!

well, im not walkin to work no more , which is a good thing. yea old school technology & skinny arse arms was the trick to getting to the CPS, lol. (my buddy was able to get to it while i was at work).

cracked-butt said:
:clap: :party: im back on the road!!! the CPS fixed it!!!

well, im not walkin to work no more , which is a good thing. yea old school technology & skinny arse arms was the trick to getting to the CPS, lol. (my buddy was able to get to it while i was at work).
Good kind of buddy to have. Glad you're rolling again.

Back