• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Roof Mounting antenna Questions

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, im looking to install a CB here fairly soon, and im trying to find a decent mount for the center of the roof. (I have a 90 XJ)
I found this one:
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/MK-DM18R.htm

What do you guys think about it? Do you have some other suggestions?

Another question i have is about antenna length. Most of what i have read on this site say that the antenna is mounted to the rear around the tail light area with an average of a 6' antenna. Since im going to be mounting mine on the roof, what is a good length?
4'? I dont "plan" on using this for anything other then communicating with other wheelers when need be. Im sure it would be nice to have something all powerfull in the event of a huge emergency, but i doubt it will be ever used that way. I figure since its on the roof, ill go ahead and get a quick disconnect also.

Ideas, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

have you seen mine.

0408071617.jpg

0408071635.jpg

stuff156.jpg

aint nothing wrong with what you have chosen. it will work well for you. a 4' will do just fine. tyr to find one that is really flexable. like the K40 with the tunable tip. rat shack is ware i usualy find them. i use a wilson 2000 for my wheelin antenna. that one in the pic is a preditor 10K, i use that one for flat out gett'n out. though i run more than usual wattage and i need an antenna that will handle alot of juice.

I've got a Wilson 1000 roof mount that is going on soon. I have a pre-existing hole in the roof from an old cell phone antenna. I got the Wilson from here:

http://www.rfwiz.com/Wilson1000.htm

They seem to have about the best prices around and the service was top notch. I went with the 62.5" whip, but I think they also have a 48" whip if garage/trees concern you. A rooftop mount gives you a great ground plane and the best omnidirectional signal.

There's my FireStik mounted on a tear-drop mount, comes through right where the dome light used to be.
jeepnewtires002.jpg

Great pics and suggestions .. thanks guys.
Now what about antenna length. I am in the NW, in the high desert as a matter of fact, so im assuming that most wheeling (when i start! gotta get the jeep in operating order first!) is going to be around trees. Im only concearned with not being able to clear say a freaking drive through, or a garage. What size would be good, and should i just get a spring thing or a quick disconnect? Im thinking 4-5' is good yes?

I run 4', and I suggest a spring, I've seen fiberglass ant.'s break and crack without them. Its only $5, and saves a lot of hard hits... Tree limbs and cb ant.'s dont play well

xjtrailrider said:
I like the 4' FS2 as well but its too tall for the roof and low limbs around here. If you just have to go roof top get a Wilson "LilWil" mag mount. It will just flop over if you hit a low limb and it will get out real good for a 3" antenna.

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/lilwil.htm

The only thing here that i dont like is that its not "fixed" its a mag mount.

What if i got something like the wilson 5000? Is 5' too much, or can i even get a shorter antenna for it if i really was anal?

just get the roof mount 1000 or 5000. thay have a highly flexable stailess steel wip. i wouldnt trust anything less than 4' as far as being heard goes.

If you go with the gundrop mount, use a plate of metal under the roof metal for some additional flex support. The roof metal is a bit thin. I used a 4"x4" electrical box blank cover (any hardware store will have it) to spread the load a bit. I didn't want the roof metal cracking from fatigue.

Be sure to tune the antenna with an SWR meter after installation. Very important.

lowrange2 said:
Raise and lower... I don't get it...

That's how you tune your SWR. You either trim or lengthen your antenna. Some are adjustable where all you do is turn a screw.

Hale

www.firestik.com has TECH and FAQ sections that answers all your questions about tuning antennas and also how to choose an antenna and mounting bracket for your needs.

A 2-3 foot tall antenna is perfect for the XJ. It is tall enough to work well so you can be heard, but not so tall that you bang all the low hanging stuff on the trail or the road. If you 4x4 in areas with lots of low hanging branches an antenna spring is a good idea. Fold over mounts or quick disconnects allow you to lower or remove your antenna as needed. CB antennas attract smash and grab thieves, so if you aren't using the CB all the time it is best to store the antenna.

Last edited:
alot of truckstops have cb shops in and around them. Let your fingers do the walking. As to finding one, Flying J, Pilot,Truckstops of America (TA) are the most popular truckstops. Good luck

Last edited:
If you have an antenna with a coil, the coil will have a small set-screw on it. Loosen that and raise or lower the upper whip in the coil as needed. This changes the length of the antenna slightly and this tunes the antenna. If you cannot shorten the whip enough with that adjustment, you need to snip off a bit of the whip, re-insert it into the coil and tune it then. These antennas come from the factory a bit on the long side so they can be tuned.

The fiberglass antennas will have a wire wound around the fiberglass rod and it will be covered with a vinyl coating. You pull the wire out of the vinyl covering at the tip of the antenna and snip a short piece of it off. Some of the better fiberglass antennas will have an adjustable screw tip that can raise or lower as needed.

In 30 years of CB and ham radio, I have yet to see a built-in SWR meter that was worth its weight in crap.

Back