• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sapping in a 242. Shifter Qs

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I searched. Nearly 40 pages worth. Honest effort there guys.

Found only one fleeting mention. My main question is in the second paragraph below.

I have a '90 4.0/231 and am planning to swap in an '88 242. As I understand things from my recent archive search, the driveshafts will be just fine. I can use my 231 driveshafts with the 242. I include this just in case I'm wrong.

Main question I could not find an answer for concerns the Tcase shifter. Can I use my 231 handle and linkage on the 242 and simply swap in the 242 shift bezel for the correct position indication?

I did find one thread where that is mentioned in passing. That thread indicated I can hook my 231 linkage to the 242 and it will work fine, just need that 242 shift position bezel.

True? Any other thoughts (besides: don't do it) about this swap? Cherokee is street driven, no offroad (yet, but none planned). 242 is for wet and, especially, winter driving. My best friend is 60 miles away and my brother is 100 miles away and we get real weather here in Minnesota. Already I've done the 40 mile round trip to work and back in 4 wheeldrive with the 231 due to ice and snow coverage of the roads. Several times. Time to go full-time.

I have located a 242 for sale locally and plan to rebuild it and swap it in. I also have the vacuum disconnect front axle that I understand I should shim in the locked position. I would guess the 242 will not have the vacuum switch.

Any other issues with using the '88 242 with my '90? Both vehicles are 4.0/AW4. From my reading here, the 23 spline started in '91, so I should have the 21 spline tranny output as should the '88.

try this
http://www.hobbyguild.com/jeep/index.html
Had another one but not working right now.
I should be a straight swap. The lights on the cluster may not work exactly as stock but I believe linkage is fine. The only years where the input spline is an issue is at approx 1991, where the input spline went from 21 spline to 23. So you should be good. Looking at doing this swap myself from an 87 - 93. Dont worry about the 242, its well respected.

Re: Swapping in a 242. Shifter Qs

Thanks for that link. It seems he bought an NP231 from a later Jeep. Hence the spline count difference. I wonder about the different input lengths he shows. Is he mixing auto and manual Tcases? I plan to pickup the '88 242 this weekend. I'll check the input length but won't be able to check it against my '90 231 as it is still in the Jeep.

So, can anyone clear this up? Will there be a difference in input lengths between my '90 231 behind an AW4 and the '88 242 behind an AW4?

He also says his shifter worked backwards after the swap. Anyone have knowledge of this? I guess I should just get the complete shifter linkage just in case.

Last edited:
I have a NP 242 and I'm looking at doing a swap with a NP 231 mainly for parts reasons. I have a 2000 XJ with a 4.0 and auto trans. Do the late model NP 231s have the same spline count (23)?

Thanks guys

First the linkages are different but might be modified. The shift gate also shows as different 231 vs. 242. I haven't done a swap and based this on the parts catalog.

I would expect to find the input gear length to be the same on all AW4 equipped models. Input gears can be swapped between 87-94, 95 is the split year, and later ones are 96-up. You can't swap between say a 88 and 96 due to differently shaped teeth on the gears.

You should have no problem bolting up the transfer case or the input gear being the same. It might be possible screw the vacuum switch in place of the electrical one but it would defeat the purpose of having Full Time because it would only engage to vacuum disconnect possibly in low range.

flynruff said:
I have a NP 242 and I'm looking at doing a swap with a NP 231 mainly for parts reasons. I have a 2000 XJ with a 4.0 and auto trans. Do the late model NP 231s have the same spline count (23)?

Thanks guys

You should get a 96-01 year one to not have issues with the rear driveshaft.

A few facts.

91-up behind a 4.0L and AW4 will be a 23 spline input. 87-90 equipped the same are 21 spline.
87-95 use a rear driveshaft yoke that is lubricated by oil in the t-case tailcone (supported by the t-case mainshaft and a bushing in the t-case tailcone).
96-up use a rear driveshaft yoke that is greased and external to the t-case tailcone (supported soley by the t-case mainshaft)

I'm now getting the whole shift linkage with the 242 along with the shift indicator bezel for the console. I should be set.

I'm going to permanently lock the front axle disconnect in place.

Back