• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear link or springs?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So link system is a no brainer for ultimate articullation but is it the best way to go for a DD or are the leaf springs a better trade off for on road stability and off road flex? Seen amazing things done with revolvers but heard about horror stories of them unloading on a sketchy off camber rock climb. I like TnT customs 1.5 inch boomerang shackles with there 1.5 inch ubolt eliminators with just a simple add a leaf, keep the leaf springs soft and squishy for max flex. but i would like the experience of a custom link system in the rear. I'm torn between the two, have to think more about everyday driveability and reliability. Love that rock crawling

Full leaf packs and 1.5" shackles is about the best combo. I wouldnt link the rear unless you have a suck down winch on the front or back, thats just me though

Good leaf packs. Cheap, bolt in in a matter of hours if you're slow, stable, chances are you already have some.

Lots of guys rock crawl with leaf springs.

94XJ2door5speed said:
So a link system is a no brainer for ultimate articullation but is it the best way to go for a DD or are the leaf springs a better trade off for on road stability and off road flex? Seen amazing things done with revolvers but heard about horror stories of them unloading on a sketchy off camber rock climb. I like TnT customs 1.5 inch boomerang shackles with there 1.5 inch ubolt eliminators with just a simple add a leaf, keep the leaf springs soft and squishy for max flex. but i would like the experience of a custom link system in the rear. I'm torn between the two, have to think more about everyday driveability and reliability. Love that rock crawling
This is even better than your other post.I take it you havent spent much time thinking about this!

RCP Phx said:
This is even better than your other post.I take it you havent spent much time thinking about this!

No i have thats exactly the problem, i over think things way too much and i start to wander away from the whole it still gotta be an everyday driver. And i know how do build a link system i like alternatives, to be original, but sometimes its like i wanna reinvent the wheel, not a good idea! So yeah ive thought about it and have wheeled with nothing(i mean i used a tire iron through my wheel to make a "locker" so the wheel actuallt on the ground would pull me out) and I know what i want out of my jeep for what ill do with it!

94XJ2door5speed said:
i start to wander away from the whole it still gotta be an everyday driver.

i have the same problem. started doin things to the jeep and forgot that it's my only DD. all the things i've done have been to make it into a trail rig even though i only go about 2 times a month because of work adn stuff.

O funny story, on a hill climb my jeep and the next three XJ's behind me, all got stuck in the same spot but since i was first with no one to pull me over the top, my passenger side wheel came off the ground as we had to turn at the very top. So the power was transfered to that wheel and i sat still with the front wheel free wheeling and the rear digging a rut soooo... I took the stock lug nut wrench and put it through a hole in the stock rims and turned it untill it hit the caliper. This caused the power to be transfered to the other wheel and i crested the hill. With no damage to my caliper or rim to boot, we called it the flat rock locker because thats the trail we were on, used it again to the same day only on a ZJ.

Back