• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Sell or Not to Sell?

ajporter03

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 XJ that I have owned for about 3 years now and I am debating on weather or not I should sell it. My boss just recently purchased a 2008 Toyota Tundra and I inherited his old 2001 Tundra. A nice perk to go along with my job. It isn't mine, it is still owned by the company. But it is mine to use. The only reason that I am debating on weather or not to sell the Jeep is all the problems that I have had with it. Since I purchased it I have had to replace the rear leaf springs (too much sagging), shocks, front and rear brakes, upper and lower control arm bushings, one TRE, steering gear box, exhaust manifold, both motor mounts, most of the floor pan, heater core, most all the sensors, battery, and the valve cover gasket. I replaced all this stuff out a necessity. I still have no carpet. My rear main seal is leaking. I have some nasty death wobble at speeds about 65. There is a new clunking sound comming from the rear of the Jeep when I go over bumps. I can't seem to keep the rear brakes working consistently no matter how much I adjust them. And the big one, above my windsheild I have so much rust that I am sure I am going to have a hole right into the cab soon. It has been a huge money pit for me. I have only put about 20,000 miles on it. I know this is getting to be a long post, but I just want some opinions on what to do. Keep it and keep putting all my time and extra money into it, or sell it and cut my losses? Please tell me what you think.
93 XJ AW4 4x4 138,000 miles.

:skull2: sounds like you got yourself a good trail riog, but not a daily driver now. get the sawzall out & have some fun. now that you got the toy (ota) to run as a dd, why not have a trail rig too? :wierd:

just my 2 cents worth. if that counts....:laugh2:

If you absolutely do not need it at all, not even for an extra vehicle, you should get rid of it. If you have ANY reason to keep it, then you may as well keep it because you wont get squat for it if you sell it anyway.
Keep in mind that its always good to keep an extra vehicle around. If the Yota breaks down or is in an accident, you're not at the mercy of the feet dragging insurance company or dealer waiting for a lease vehicle. If your bosses new Yota breaks and he decides he needs yours for awhile, you're not screwed. Always have a backup.

Don't sell it or sell it and get another vehicle. It's not your truck and if things don't work out for any reason, you will be unemployed and not have transportation. Not a good time to go car shopping.

Been there, done that. That's why I have two trucks in the driveway. One is theirs and one is mine.

ratherbcamping said:
Don't sell it or sell it and get another vehicle. It's not your truck and if things don't work out for any reason, you will be unemployed and not have transportation. Not a good time to go car shopping.

Been there, done that. That's why I have two trucks in the driveway. One is theirs and one is mine.
AMEN! if the political tide turns at work you are going to need a rig!:yelclap:

If you have put all that money in it already you might aswell keep it and fix the other few problems that you have . Just my 2 cents

aye. keep it.

Seriously. The rust on the roof? My XJ has it. The floorpans are shot? Same with mine.

Clunks are clunks. Take the time to find out what it is and then decide on an action. If its not going to imminently fail, or will harm you and the jeep, then leave it. The roof rust can be cleaned up and welded OR in a pinch, some half-arsed application of some bondo till you can get it properly repaired.

The wobbling you're describing sounds like loose TRE's or tracbar bushings. DW is when the rig is shaking like a dog passing a pinecone and you have to come to a full stop to eliminate it. Control arm bushings can cause a wobble too, as can unbalanced tires.

If you sink another $300 into it and DD the Yota and just keep the XJ around for whatever, you have no worries. Start'er once a week or so to make sure its all hunky-dory. Thats what Im doing, except backwards. Im taking my current DD and placing it in outdoor storage for $10/month and Dailying my XJ when it gets roadworthy. Ive still got a vehicle if I need it and insurance can swap over in less than one hr.

Sorry that it has been so long since I have replied. And thanks to all of you for replying. The more I think about it the more I think I will keep it. I would just miss it too much when it was gone. I really love the XJ's. I just wish that mine didn't have so many problems. I sure have learned a lot by fixing all of them, though. Thanks NAXJA!

yup, another vote to keep it. Ive thought about selling mine (or driving it off a cliff) at one point or another, and I keep finding little things wrong with it, but at the same time I keep fixing all those little things as they come up, so I know there less and less things to worry about. I really like driving my XJ, it's a perfect vehicle for my lifestyle (outdoors mostly), it gets good highway mileage and I can comfortably drive it on long trips with the AC or heat cranked. I have thought about replacing it with similiar SUV's (4runner mostly), but I'd miss the power of the 4l, the ease of lifting the solid front axle and the fact that I already know how to fix damn near anything on my jeep.

If and when I do sell it, I'll buy another XJ.

Back