• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 30 locker or gears first

supsa

NAXJA Forum User
Well if I get a locker all need new axle shafts but that will still be cheaper than a regear right now. Should I just wait to regear first? I'm running a 5.5 RE lift with 33's. Just want some insight

I would say re-gear, for the following reason.
if money is an issue, it won't get any better spending money on a locker, and still spending more money on your milege until you save up again for a gear install.
yes it costs more to re-gear, but the sonner you do, the sooner you are able to put away a few more dollars until you can get a locker too.

granted if this is a trail only rig and your ok with the current gearing (not too bogged down) than go for the locker so you can go a little further, maybe break a few more parts (you'll be hitting the gas more with stock gears) and you can save up all over again for more parts.

I re-geared mine, than locker, and very glad I did.

gears

gears

gears

gears

they pay for themselves in gas.

You wont need new axle shafts if you install a locker, regarless of the u-joint size and year, they are all 27 spline. If you get a lunch box locker you can use it with every gear set but if you get a carrier locker (ARB, OX, detroit) you have to get one for specific gears(3.07-3.73&4.10-4.88). Re-gearing will bring your mileage and power back and you know what a locker will get you, it's what you want first. Traction or power?

Thanks for all the input. Gears it is. It is not a DD but I still want to be able to if I need to. Now where to buy a good set of gears without breakin the bank?

Back