• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help! Np242

DurtySpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so this morning at 7a.m. I finally got my rear output shaft seal after searching all day yesterday... Thanks to the search option on this forum, lol... I just got around to putting it in because my dads duramax broke down, lol. But first a little background...

The transfer case is a reman from autozone I put in about 6 months ago... This seal was leaking from day one but I didn't feel like dealing with it at the time... So yesterday I got around to fixing it and found out how hard it was to actually find this seal...

Here is the diagram I am looking at...

http://www.drivetrain.com/242transfercasesillust.htm

I am using the the little pic for 1997 and up also... Mine is a 98 limited...

When I disassembled it, the seal was on first, then some washer, then that little protective cup dohicky(not sure what to call it)... In this diagram is shows like 2 washer like things going on... I don't have the other one and the one on there doesn't seem to fit right... Then after looking at the diagram again, I see there is a washer and slip ring that goes in before the seal... And now I am not sure if maybe this washer is suppossed to be in before the seal and I am completely missing the two that go on before the protective cap...

So what is the purpose of the one that goes in before the seal? and the purpose of the ones after the seal before the protective cap thing? I am sure they must be needed if they are there but what do I do since I dont have them? I guess I need to pull the new seal out and check for the inside one? Darn, maybe I can find another one locally, lol or maybe get that one out without messing it up...

So, NAXJA, please help... I have always found what I need by searching but now I can't and I am in Cartersville, Ga at the moment and I have to report back to Fort Jackson, SC by 2100 tomorrow night and this is my transportation!!!

Thanks for any help or insight you can give me on this...

DurtySpeed said:
The transfer case is a reman from Autozone
I would have taken my chances with a junkyard t-case rather than Autozones reman crap... I worked there for quite a while and the trannys and t-cases suck, as well as the re manufacturers customer support... We probably had half of them come back with problems. Not to mention what you probably paid to get something that wasn't even re manufactured correctly. Don't know much about the seal but if the schematic shows it, its probably suppose to be there. Im not bashing your decision, I just hate seeing how many Autozones rebuilt or reman parts have problems... I'm sure someone on the forums will give you an answer to that washer question. Wish I could help, unfortunately I have a 249 in mine. Good luck

The output seals are the same as a 231 t-case.

Under the seal goes 1 snap ring to hold the mainshaft in position and 1 large one that holds the bearing in the tail housing. The seal then goes in (special procedure to follow or you will cut it below). After the seal another snap ring goes on the mainshaft and the washer which spaces the dust/dirt slinger properly. The slinger then attaches to dust boot.

When installing the new seal care must be taken not to cut it on the mainshaft splines or snap ring groove. What I do it use some electrical tape to protect the seal from the shaft. Start the tape at the snap ring groove (not further since the seal rides on the shaft just ahead of this groove) and go to the end of the shaft. This will keep it from tearing as the seal is slid over the shaft and installed.

MJR said:
The output seals are the same as a 231 t-case.

Under the seal goes 1 snap ring to hold the mainshaft in position and 1 large one that holds the bearing in the tail housing. The seal then goes in (special procedure to follow or you will cut it below). After the seal another snap ring goes on the mainshaft and the washer which spaces the dust/dirt slinger properly. The slinger then attaches to dust boot.

When installing the new seal care must be taken not to cut it on the mainshaft splines or snap ring groove. What I do it use some electrical tape to protect the seal from the shaft. Start the tape at the snap ring groove (not further since the seal rides on the shaft just ahead of this groove) and go to the end of the shaft. This will keep it from tearing as the seal is slid over the shaft and installed.

Awesome, thanks for the advice... So I can take care of that problem... No biggie, I probably got a snap ring in the garage(dad used to race go-karts)...

Just the last thing concerns me now... Is the shaft suppossed to be able to move in and out about 1/8 inch?

DurtySpeed said:
Awesome, thanks for the advice... So I can take care of that problem... No biggie, I probably got a snap ring in the garage(dad used to race go-karts)...

Just the last thing concerns me now... Is the shaft suppossed to be able to move in and out about 1/8 inch?

Some end shaft play is normal as long as the bearing is good and secured in the tail housing with the snap ring and mainshaft has a snap ring holding in in the bearing.

Back