• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag link crushed damper

Cherokeejpn2

NAXJA Forum User
My drag link crushed my steering damper I have 8" of lift
A skyjacker drop pitman arm I think its made for a 6"- 8"
lift What is my best option I don't want to spend more then
$400 for a new steering setup.
Oh and the drag link is bent a little.

Stock steering is no good over about 5" of lift.

Look at the JCR 1 ton setup. Probably the best bang for the buck.

This is an easy one,"been there,done that".Just turn it around so the "shock body" is attached to the drag-link not the axle!

RCP Phx said:
This is an easy one,"been there,done that".Just turn it around so the "shock body" is attached to the drag-link not the axle!

That wont fix the steering being maxed at ride height, and tearing through draglink ends. ;)

Cherokeejpn2 said:
What is my best option I don't want to spend more then $400 for a new steering setup.

dont lift the rig so high.... or look at Currie's steering, it's right in that range and plenty strong.

I have really bad death wobble so I had a custom drag link
and tie rod built but it made no difference.
Next on the list to check is the track bar
and tire ballance. the front end is sitting
at 11 deg positive caster witch will be fixed
this weekend. I will also be checking the toe.
Have I missed anything?

Also what is the best steering stablizer for a XJ?

Last edited:
If I was a betting man, my money would be that your DW is caused by the castor.

Got it fixed! Have the caster set at 7 deg for now I still have to
check the toe, when i get a chance. It was combo of
the bad caster and the track bar had to be replaced.

These are the only pics I have atm.

newsprings75-13002.jpg

This pic is before I got a new mount for the damper and new track bar.
Mynewsteering001Small.jpg

Found a pic of the control arms, and yes im saving up for the drop brackets!

Newsprings25002.jpg

Last edited:
Your telling me(us) that that is 8" of lift? Stock uppers, TB and all! looks more around 6" of lift (still way to high for OEM TB & stock uppers in stock location!!)

unless it has gone up sense the pictures, that is MAYBE a 6" lift. Looks like RE 5.5 coils? no spacers. Get the front end right and get rid of the damper, I have never needed one.

Last edited:
Its 8" of lift I measured it myself 3 times! The track bar is not stock its a
Terra Flex Plus adjustable track bar! And I will be buying the drop brackets
to get a better angle on the control arms. The upper arms are Terra Flex Plus
adustable arms and custom built lower arms I ordered the springs straight
from Rubicon Express part# RE 1358. And thats the part # that was sent!
Well Im very happy with the Jeep!

Last edited:
First off Nice Jeep man! very well built!

All im saying is these are the parts I installed! And I came looking for help
not to treated like this! Mods you can cancel my membership GOOD BY!!

Awwww He got his panties in a bunch. Seriously, don't let the swinging door hit you on the way out. You wouldn't last long with that wimpy mentality. You don't have a real membership, so no body will cancel it, and this thread won't be deleted, maybe locked and laughed at. You came for help and you got some! :wave::rattle:

You know what, to treat some one like the way i was treated here is BS!!
I will never post again! Since I don't own a dam trailer queen!

Ok so how do you think you were treated badly? Oh know someone doesn't think your lift looks like an 8". Suck it up and move on. I do not see any pics of it,you must have deleted them. Not having any pics I cant help ya out anyways. Everyone will have there own opinion about everything. Just becouse it differs from your conseptions there is no need to get all upset. Welcome to the real world, get out of your bubble, and into real life. It seems that your questions were answered as well . Over 5" stock steering(stock geometry) wether it be stock parts or aftermarkety, homemade what ever will not work well over 5". That was alreadty stated. Your DW question was addressed also. So as you say
"All im saying is these are the parts I installed! And I came looking for help not to treated like this! Mods you can cancel my membership GOOD BY!!"
Well guess what you were helped with advice to solve your problems. You are taking it as a personnal attack or something. Whatever, take it how you must. Oh and by the way how are you measuring to get the 8" of lift. Just curious cause if you measure differant then others then a true comperision will never be made right.

Back