• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Lift Info needed

midlifexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone!

Just bought a 2001 XJ Cherokee I need some Info. on lift kits and tire size. Well to start off I have 4.0 2001 sport 4x4 Cherokee I'm looking for the best lift and tires to look somewhat aggressive but still handles well on roads as well as offroad. I've heard of some problems with vibration on lifts over 3" and tire wobble problems as well. I Just custom built a set of rocksliders out of 3/16 and thats 100+ lbs of extra weight, add spare tire and carrier, heavy bumper and an avarage 3" liftkit will most likely sag. So I think a set of 31x10.50 on factory 15" rims with a 3" lift using the up grade heavy duty coils and leafsprings. I would hate to make the mistake of too little lift and tires and this xj will be offroad quite a bit.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
What kind of offroading are you planning on? Is this your DD? How much money you planning on spending? You can get very aggressive and still have very good pavement manors! If you prefer form over function you can get by very cheap. If you go over the 3-4 inch lift your vibrations are caused by driveline angles and to correct you need T/C drop or SYE. Yes, you will get some sag with the extra weight and I would suggest leaf packs in the rear. A good 4 or 4.5 inch lift should do! There are many fellas running 35 inch tires with a 4.5 inch lift. :peace:

I enjoy running trails and some tires leaving the dirt is going to happen for sure. xj is a second ride/toy for me and I have the knowledge and tools to do all my own repairs. I hunt, fish, and love the wilderness so I want the best of both worlds Money is limited as always. So you think 4'' to 4''.5 of lift dropping transfer case brake line extensions ect. will do fine. Ok the big question is who makes the best kit for price, reliability and ride.
Thankx again

Choosing a lift can be frustrating as there are many out there! The best thing I can recommend is to search the forums here and read up on the suject. Then when you are satisfied make you purchase. And of course if you still have any questions just post'em. I run a BDS kit. It is high quality but I paid for that too! I can also recommend Rubicon Express. Good luck!!NAXJA

Here's my '01 with 4.5" BDS lift and Rubicon wheels & tires.

dscn3305.jpg

dscn3306.jpg

For what you're looking for in lift you should do an SYE. I used the PORC SYE and a front shaft I got at pick and pull and then rebuilt. My XJ is smoother now than it was with the stock shaft and the Up Country suspension. The ride quality and off road capability of the DBS system is great! The BDS system is the most complete that I found and the price was very good when you consider everything that was included, I paid $1399 for the kit. Mine came with their old style track bar which is weak, so I called them about it and they apologized and they're sending me a new style one.

Doug

Back