• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 AW4 - No crank problem and trans slipping?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this newly acquired '98 I have just threw me a BIG puzzle.......

4.0L with 174K miles. 242 t-case, no modifications to anything.

Bought it last week, test drove it, (Completely cold start up, covered in snow, hadn't been driven in a month by prev. owner). No noticible driveability issues whatsoever. Fluids were clean, full and appear to have had regular maintenance.

Brought it home where it sat on the driveway for 4 days. Started it and backed it out of the driveway onto the street overnight. Next morning, I try to start it - won't crank at all.

After reviewing several threads about the NSS, I unplug it and do the "B to C" terminal jump to bypass the NSS....... does nothing, still won't crank the engine. All electrical accessories work, battery is fine, full charge - even tried a jump box just to be sure.... no crank. I switched out the starter relay with a known good one - no crank. Battery connections are clean, cables show mild corrosion, but not "crunchy" when you bend them.

So, I use a bump-starter and manually start it up. Runs fine. Take it for a drive around the block - right off the bat, trans seems to slip in drive and 3rd. It does move under it's own power, but the engine rpm won't go above 2K. Sluggish power, and slipping - maybe more like the torque converter isn't locking up. So, I put it into 1-2 gear position...... much more power, revvs nice and spins the tires on the slushy road. Park it in the driveway, hold the brake, give it gas, doesn't seem to have power to even try to move the tires, and the engine only revvs up a few hundred rpms over idle.

There is a check engine light set, but I don't have a scanner. I will probably break down and buy one tomorrow to at least read the codes.

Summary:
-No crank condition, all electrical functions normal. NSS bypass doesn't work.
-Trans seems to slip, but may just be TC not locking up? Fluid is full, red, no burn smell.
-Engine code is set.

Thoughts?

Ok, As Murphy's law would dictate....... the damn thing fired right up as normal this morning.....:mad:

OBDII scan tool read the following codes:

P0700: Transmission Control System Malfunction

P0753: Shift Solenoid A Electrical

P0758: Shift Solenoid B Electrical

P0743: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical

P0720: Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P1899: Manufacturer Specific code (not available to outside sources, Jeep only)

Then I remembered that I had disconnected the NSS to do the "B to C" terminal bypass and a few of these codes may have been set when trying to start it at that time. So, I erased the codes, took it for a drive.

Well, this time, it set the CEL immediately, but had normal power, no slipping from the transmission. During the drive, the transmission didn't seem to know when it wanted to shift, but when it did, the shifts were solid.

A re-scan of the codes only showed:

P0700: Transmission Control System Malfunction

P1899: Manufacturer Specific code (not available to outside sources, Jeep only)

So, it would appear that the TCM is likely bad?

Anyone know where to look up the 1899 code?

Would a bad TCM cause a no-crank problem?

Heh heh..... duh, search dummy! :twak:

P1899: Park/Neutral Switch stuck in Park or gear

So, it looks like I'll start with cleaning the NSS using GoJeep's tech article on his website and see where it goes from there.

Back