• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

failed aircare!!! what to do??

What were all of your numbers, in relation to passing? I'd first say that NOx was elevated due to a failed or malfunctioning EGR, but there are hints that I'd get from seeing the rest of the report (you may think the other numbers are unrelated - but they very much aren't. Either scan your report, or post full numbers for idle and high-speed operation.)

go to a small town that doesnt inspect =)

here in Flagstaff the only inspection i need is to make sure the VIN matches the title :rtm:

but in a more helpful arena we got my roomates '68 fairlane to pass by running it on ethanol for the inspection. :cool:

blazinjames said:
Here's the report:
HC-33.00 max allow 157
CO-0.11 max allow .79
NOx-2045.00 max 1259

Idle test:

HC-16 max allow 186
CO-0.17 max allow 1.27

I passed everything but the NOx

Check your EGR for function - you should be able to press in on the underside of the valve with your finger, with the engine idling, and stall it. If that works, start the engine again and use a vacuum pump on the nipple.

Since the NOx is elevated, and the CO is relatively low, that's my first thinking. Fortunately, testing the EGR valve is fairly simple.

N.B. If your EGR is shot, you will note a decrease in NOx and an increase in HC and CO on your retest - but you should still pass. This is normal.

blazinjames said:
Thanks 4 the advice!

What exactly is a vacume pump?

You should be able to find them in auto parts houses and places like our Sears (I don't know if you have any up there) - it's a hand-driven piston pump used for diagnosing vacuum-powered devices and (with an inexpensive add-on kit) for bleeding brake and clutch hydraulics. Kinda like this: http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpo.asp

Mityvac is a common brand name down here, but I've also seen Sunpro on occasion. Both will serve you well, so get whichever you can find.

Do you have a gauge cluster and if so does it show temp in the 190-210 range? Do your fans work and do you still have your fan shroud intact? Do you have adequate 50/50 coolant (not full of tap water or just coolant)? Do you have any problems with your heater that may indicate coolant flow problems?

I failed NOX on my 91 and it was only after changing the thermostat that I discovered the upper half of engine wasn't getting enough coolant.

Back