• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 axle tubes,..

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
Should Ford 8.8 axle tubes be pre-heated before welding on spring mount perches-I have always thought that the axle tubes were'nt needed to be done like the cast-iron pumpkin ,but...
I am getting some conflicting information from some of the locals about the best or correct way to MIG weld the spring mounts back together -TIA

Haleyes said:
Here's a little reading on the subject: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71778&highlight=tubes+nickle

I used a MIG on mine as well. Do short alternating beads untill you have went all the way around the tube.

really hot, really fast is a better way to do it. ive never had an issue, and thats how the manufactors do it.

same w/ welding the tubes to the pumpking (which is necessary on an 8.8). its not going to pull, its already welded in, just crank it up, and lay a hot one

..Thanks all-
Have an ole used 220 volt Miller MIG that still gets hot enough for the thicker stuff -Have re-positioned the shock mounts and just finished some questionable welds around the axle tube-Was welding outside today in high winds and dust and loseing my shielding gas in the breeze-Also used the wire brush, flap disk and wiped the weld area down a bit to get rid of some rusty spots but I still could'nt seem to be able to get the contamination out of the welds-I think I managed to get a little penetration in some spots but overall it looks like little weld "boogers"-Hopeing tonight that those shock mounts hold for awhile.
bxj

Back