• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Economy

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Scan Gauge II, and so far since I last filled up, on this tank I'm sitting at about 30MPG... (This is 100% city driving on this tank)

2001 4.0L AW4 3.55 LSD

What is everyone else getting?

dlarrivee said:
It's possible to get 30MPG if your vehicle is kept in good shape and you drive to conserve fuel.
Is that a U.S. gallon or an Imperial gallon :dunno: ----------Hans

I believe it would be US, we'll see after my next fill-up what my average for the entire tank was... So far though, it is 30.

(I'm aware that seems very high, I'll report back after my next fill-up)

sorry, your probably using imperial gallons. I use imperial gallons and average slightly over 26mpg on a strictly highway trip. In the city I get around 18-20, depending on how I drive.
Mine is a 1990 with 2" lift and LT235/75/15 all terrains.

1 Imperial gallon = 1.201 U.S. gallons. I believe Canada uses the Imperial gallon. I was in BC with my folks in 1975 and I remember my dad filling up and it registered in Imperial gallons at the pump :dunno: Still, I find that kind of mileage hard to believe------Hans

:roflmao: :nono:
The XJ will never get 25MPG US in city driving. It would be a miracle if i could get 25 Highway miles. I average 17 highway/city 80/20 with 4.0 AW4 NP242 and 3.55 with 31's.

Oatmeal said:
1 Imperial gallon = 1.201 U.S. gallons. I believe Canada uses the Imperial gallon. I was in BC with my folks in 1975 and I remember my dad filling up and it registered in Imperial gallons at the pump :dunno: Still, I find that kind of mileage hard to believe------Hans

Actually we use Litres here in Canada, not imperial gallons. Wow...

And the ScanGauge is made in America, so it would be using US Gallons.

My Jeep is not lifted, and it has stock size tires on it, a new crankcase full of oil, and new spark plugs. It's also only 7 years old, and has only 55,000Miles on the ODO.

Obviously an older Jeep that is lifted and has larger tires will not get this mileage.

dlarrivee said:
It's possible to get 30MPG if your vehicle is kept in good shape and you drive to conserve fuel.

Not in an XJ:twak:

Yeah, something is definitely messed up there... I'll fill up tomorrow and adjust it according to how much fuel the pump states.

I started a thread here about 3 months ago and a considerable number of people reported XJ highway mileage as high as 25 mpgs. In fact I bought I bought one that was getting 24 mpg before the head gasket went out. Unless you live in a city with no lights, not stop signs and only downhill trips all the time I suspect the scanner is off, but where is it, the scanner, getting its gasoline volume reading, flow rate data from? The scanner has no flow rate sensor in it, right? So it is estimating that rate or getting a reported estimate from the jeep computer based on injector open time and fuel pump pressure right? Volume does vary considerably with temperature of the fuel!!!!! The computer may be using a default gas temperature assumption.

I would suspect there is an error in there somewhere. The cold air in Canada might be helping the efficiency some. I have seen believable reports as high as 25 mpg highway.

I got 21 mpg in my 4.0l MJ 5-speed when I first bought it used. After lifting it, putting 32" tires on, regearing, and later swapping in an auto, I now get 17-18.

dlarrivee said:
Yeah, something is definitely messed up there... I'll fill up tomorrow and adjust it according to how much fuel the pump states.

If you verify your mileage, I'll steal your XJ :us:

Ecomike said:
I started a thread here about 3 months ago and a considerable number of people reported XJ highway mileage as high as 25 mpgs.

I got 24 on a hwy only trip even going up and down some hills, otherwise a good road.
That was before they started mixing ethanol in our gas (E10).
I lost approx 4 mpg since then.

Jim Mesthene said:
More accurate MPG figures.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Man ... that was funny right there!!! :roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh2:

But seriously.... Yeah... I simply can't buy that 30 MPG thing.

Back