• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clunk

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
My '94 has a clunking that's driving me nuts. I searched until my eyes bleed.....ok, not really that hard. It strated doing it just recently. First off, I had a pulsating brake pedal (started shortly after installing new Raybestos organic pads....don't care for semi-metalics) and a couple of months after that the clunking started (starts after about 5 miles of street stop and go) determined I had a warped front rotor so, I replaced the original composites with some replacement full cast units and it stopped completely.......for about two weeks. I started thinking "unit bearings" but they seem to still be snug and smooth spinning (the Jeep has about 170,000 miles on it) then, I notice that there's some play between the calipers and the brackets they sit in (I forgot to mention that when you every so slightly touch the brake pedal, just enough to drag the brakes, the sound disappears) and when moving the calipers around in their mounts, I'm able to duplicate the sound. Is there some kind of shim (like the ones on my Explorer rear calipers) that should be there to take up the slop? I might try a different set of pads if all else fails. Other than the noise, there seem to be no ill effects to the steering or brakes (stops great) Oh, yeah the noise disappears when you speed up (or turn up the stereo ;) )----------Hans

i have this EXACT same problem. mine's a 97 though, and i havent replaced any of the brake components as i've realized the same thing, the calipers move in the mounts and make that sound, it doesnt seem like new rotors or brake pads would do anything.

there is a steel bushing inside the rubber boots on the caliper where the mounting bolts go thru...possibly this sleeve and/or the rubber boots have worn?

i don't know of any shims for it. my '01 doesn't have any and i don't have any clunking.

Otter said:
there is a steel bushing inside the rubber boots on the caliper where the mounting bolts go thru...possibly this sleeve and/or the rubber boots have worn?

i don't know of any shims for it. my '01 doesn't have any and i don't have any clunking.
Man, thinking back to when I replaced the front pads, I remember they included a handful of metal "wear caps" for the caliper brackets.....doh! I might still have them in the abyss er.....garage. I'll let you guys know if I find them, I'll give them a try--------Hans

UPDATE: I got rid of the irritating "clunk". I found the "abutment clips" (as they're called), installed them and no more clunk :). They came with the pads I bought but, I never installed them. The directions say they're to compensate for wear between the "caliper guide rails" and pads. It says you should have at least .010" but, no more than .015" clearance, mine were at around .030"! The "abutment clips" included with the pads came in .010", .015", .020" and .025" thicknesses, in sets of four each......I used the .025" ones. So, if anyone is experiencing this annoyance......there you go!:D Hope this helps someone-------------Hans

Back