• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT Trackbar issues

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
I just got finished installing my TNT trackbar and it seems a little off. It looks like the the joint where is meets the body mount is resting against the mount. It seems like it would limit travel and its just not right. I have the RE 4.5 kit with fixed uppers and lowers. I think that if I move the axle forward it would solve my problem. Now for another question, what would be the best way to do so? Would I get more movement out of adjustable uppers or lowers? I've also been thinking about getting some drop brackets which should move the axle forward I think?? Let me hear some opinions when I clean up I will try to take some pics to help clear it up a bit

Drop brackets will move it forward and make the ride a lot smoother. The difference after putting drop brackets on mine was amazing. Going to adjustable lowers, and if you can adjustable uppers would be nice as well.

Mine was so poorly built(both ends were off), no amount of adjustment would allow for proper fitment. I had to rework their frame bracket, then the bar bent anyway. :looney:
BTW - I have the RE brackets as well as adjustable arms, and now, a much better trackbar - JKS.

Here are the pics so let me know what you think

click to enlarge

Mine is the same. They should have made the mount "turned" from the frame rather than being in the same plane with the framerail. I figured mine would "self-clearance" and be fine. I don't have the time or energy to worry about it. You should be able to expect a little better quality from a company though.

those pics look like mine. i just left it, and i havent had any problems. at first i thought it was wrong, but the guy who did my alignment said it was fine the way it was.

I was thinking for the money spent on it the trackbar would fit like a glove. There is a littel stress on the bar itself and I guess i was just looking for a better fit. The quality is there but the fitment could be better IMHO

It almost looks like it was designed for the RE mount, which is turned - except that I think its turned the wrong way.

I'd call TNT and ask them if they would make it right - otherwise, find a local welder and have them cut the joint off and clock it a few degrees.

Guys, call us at the shop if you're having problems.

To address the issue publicly (and having not stood in front of the vehicle(s) in question):

Everything has an effect (negative or positive) on your trac-bar setup. If the suspension arms (both upper and lower) are set to have your wheelbase at the stock point (not stretching it forward or incorrectly adjusted too short which negatively impacts wheelbase) and the pinion is set per instructions (caster or whatever) then the trac-bar angle(s) will be correct. Having any of these adjustments setup other than where it needs to be will impact how the joint sets in the mount. Just to head this one off at the pass, the notches in all of our tube/suspension/steering related products are accurate. They are all CNC Machined to the correct angle and jig welded for accuracy so the notch in this particular case is not the issue. I machine them personally and, based on how the machine gets setup, they cannot be wrong.

When looking at how the flex joint sits in the bracket you also need to consider how the suspension causes the trac-bar to travel during its cycle. As the suspension travels up, it will effectively cause the trac-bar to move forward causing the angle to change in the mount on the chassis side. Having it perfectly centered would be optimal but may cause it to get very close under compression. The notch is where it is for a reason.

As always, we recommend that you contact us directly first if you have product/install related questions. We can help you in setup as well as act as a direct source of mediation if, for some reason, you have a defective part. Though the internet is a good way to gain information about setup, I believe it makes the most sense to contact the designer/manufacturer as they do have experience with how it was intended to work and, more importantly, can tell you why.

T&T's stand is that if anything is wrong, we'll fix it. All of our XJ products have withstood the test of time and, just like day 1, we'll stand behind them. Give us a call.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday break.

Matt
T&T Customs, Inc.

Gotta love the customer service. This is why I frown when someone buys junk like Rustys. Just bc they are 'known' in the jeep world and they saw the ad on spike tv during 'extreme' 4x4. They'll never stand behind their junk and their parts are below par.

TNTcustoms :thumbup:

The trackbar is great and the quality is great! The issue I am having with it is that my axle obviously has to move forward. Other people have had a similar issue. I am not attacking TNT customs and there is nothing wrong with the product. Every jeep is different and the question I wanted answered was what are my options to move the axle forward. 4.5 inches is about the max I wanna be on short arms and especially non-adjustable ones so pieces from different manufacturers aren't goin to fit perfectly together I understand that. I would have called but the issue really lies in my suspension not your trackbar

krelja said:
The trackbar is great and the quality is great! The issue I am having with it is that my axle obviously has to move forward. Other people have had a similar issue. I am not attacking TNT customs and there is nothing wrong with the product. Every jeep is different and the question I wanted answered was what are my options to move the axle forward. 4.5 inches is about the max I wanna be on short arms and especially non-adjustable ones so pieces from different manufacturers aren't goin to fit perfectly together I understand that. I would have called but the issue really lies in my suspension not your trackbar

What is your wheelbase as of right now? I'm curious how much it is off from stock.

krelja said:

Okay, that makes sense. I mis-understood what you were asking. Well obviously you can't move it forward too far because you'll have issues clearing your pitman arm but I'll assume that you're attempting to move it forward within that constraint. There once was a customer (goes by Crusin Illusion on here I believe) who needed a special solution for his trac-bar mounting on the chassis side. What he needed was to move foward the mount forward a little. I don't remember the specifics but we were able to solve his problem by building a trac-bar that was opposite (in ways) to the one that you have. It's kinda backwards but not...hard to explain. Anyway, I'll check with him for a quick reminder of how it altered the loction of the trac-bar on the chassis. If memory serves, he gained an inch or so at the trac-bar attachment point which solved his problem but kept it out of the pitman arm and that gain would certainly do exactly what you're talking about...that is if I'm not remembering things totally wrong as it was more than a year ago now. I'll find out and get back to you. If you don't mind, do me a favor and send an email to [email protected] with "I'm the trac-bar guy" in the subject line and a good email and phone number to contact you at. That will make the process go a little faster.

Matt

Back