• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

klunking in left front (yes, I searched)

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I searched for this, and looked at everything suggested, to no avail. I have a klunking coming from the left front. It sort of sounds like it's the axle shaft inside the axle tube? is that any sort of likely? it's a random sound that only happens when I go over bumps where the front end actually moves upward... not just the suspension. anybody have any ideas? :huh:

My first thought is track bar, ball joints, or unit bearings.
How are your u-joints?

Likely the trac bar top joint or ball joints. Though most any loose steering rod joint can pop when it shifts suddenly.
Ball joint noise seems to happen for me when I turn into a driveway, a bump during a turn and a pop, is when I first notice.
Trac bar I often notice on any old bump and usually the steering wheel center point shifts. Steering wanders on a straight road.
Control arms can jolt a little when starting or stopping (usually doesn't make any/much noise), most noticeable when starting stopping at slow speeds or when parallel parking.
Steering rod pop, is often noticeable when turning the wheel and changing the direction of turn, at stop or at very low speeds. May also add to wander when driving on a straight road.

The way I test my ball joints is to support the axle, wheels off the ground on jack stands. And lift under the tire with a 3-4 foot piece of 2X4. If you have somebody else lift and have a flashlight handy you can see the ball joint movement, most any movement is too much.
At he same time grab the tire top and bottom and push/pull reversing the sequence a few times, to check for hub bearing play.
While you have it up there jam something into the axle yoke (as a stop), turn the tire until the axle jams and look at the U joint, check for movement at the rubber seal on the cap bottom.
As a matter of fact a good time to check the whole front steering system.
Get to know your XJ intimately, crawl up under her skirts and inspect her under body.

ok, you named some things that I will look at. I'll repost in a bit.

ok, heres what I got:

I couldn't detect any movement in the joints, the tracbar it tight, and it's leaking gear oil..... out the axle tube. I only noticed this problem earlier today. here's a pic of what I'm talking about. the thing that I have hanging on my brake line... it came off of the shaft. what is it, and how important is it? it is plastic, and was loose. I pulled a little and it came off. gear oil is coming out of where it was.
000_0948.jpg

ok, the noise I'm getting sounds like it's coming from here (sorry about the bad pic):

000_0949.jpg

can anyone help out with either my clunk or my leak? preferrably both?

I may be able to offer some insight on your leak. It is your axle seal.
I replaced mine for the same reason. The plastic ring on your brake line is little more than a guard to keep gravel out of your axle tube. Replacing the seal was not a bad job, and can be done in the driveway. I believe I read up on it here, and on "MadXJ.com".

yeah, I've figured out what it was... I might just swap in a buddie's D-30 and use mine for spare parts... Probably easier...

oh, I meant that I figured out the leak... axle seals...

I think I know what the klunk is... My guess is that it's a sloppy upper control arm bushing. I still haven't fixed it, but it's none of the steering components, and it's not the shock, so it makes sense.

Last edited:
I will throw out another option for your rattle noise, the brake pads, often overlooked as a source for a noise but they can rattle in the knuckle guides, if you have a bump that makes the noise everytime you hit it, try going over it with the brakes applied slightly, if the noise is gone, you found it.

no, I'm 99% sure that's not what it is... I can make it happen when I try to do a burnout without spinning the tires (if you know what I mean...) slip the clutch a little to get it moving slowly, then pop it for a jolt which is accompanied by a klunk in the front end. Yes, this is in 2wd.

If your axle seal is leaking, it may be your front U-joint on that axle. A bad front U-joint will eventually cause the seal to leak. The axle wobbles.

I don't have a swaybar! hehe...

No, not really.

I ran without swaybars with a stock suspension and it was bearable. I ran without swaybars with my lift (stiffer) and it was better.

However I did finally get disconnects for the front so the front swaybar went back on. Not that I needed it, but it does make fast corners less uncomfortable for passengers :)

yeah, it's really not bad, especially with my V8 ZJ coils... it's a pretty stiff ride, so I really don't need it!

Back