• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sensors and are we going to take this anymore?

CrawlingCritter

NAXJA Forum User
:idea: Okay, maybe this ain't a good idea, maybe it is, maybe someone has already done this... For those of us that are mechanically challenged and know little about the XJ (or any other vehicle for that matter:dunno: ) a write up (with pics showing the vehicles sensor's location) outlining the various sensors, what they do and maybe some common engine symptoms when they fail would be really helpful. Seems like there are a lot of threads on here about sensors and their part numbers that a good write-up might answer--at least it would be a good starting point for many folks. Extras like part numbers and vendors would be a bonus too. I would do this myself but I don't know one sensor from another.:gee: Thanks ahead of time for any good input!

You mean something like this, this is for a 93 ZJ, but much is applicable to the OBD series of XJ.
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/Fixes/diagnostics.html

The best tip I can give you is to cruise the net. and print the good stuff. Servers disappear, sites get hacked, hard drives crash.
The FSM is just about a must have item. DC has no interest in providing useful info, they do have a stake in milking as much cash as possible from information starved customers.

Off topic, but I recently refused to purchase a DC product, because they couldn't provide a detailed instruction and repair manual. Berry actively pursues what DC considers to be copy write bandits, information control isn't only for third world dictatorships.

Last edited:
That's the general idea. I was thinking more of a show and tell with identitfying photos.
Example: "This is the O2 sensor, this is what it does and if it dies your engine is likely to do this..."
Of course sensor resistance ranges or opeating voltage ranges would be very helpful. I know many engine symptoms could have multiple possible causes. I'm assuming many readers don't know what a MAP sensor is,(for example) where it's located or even what the heck MAP stands for.:doh: A sticky post for general reference on the OEM Forum would be an ideal for anyone needing a quick reference.:cool:

Back