• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found an odd looking XJ on craigslist

Musjunk22

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking on craigslist and found this jeep. At first I was like eww a woody but then I saw the grill and I was like WTF? I never saw this type of grill on a Jeep before. Can it even be called a jeep!?!!!?

Musjunk22 said:
I was looking on craigslist and found this jeep. At first I was like eww a woody but then I saw the grill and I was like WTF? I never saw this type of grill on a Jeep before. Can it even be called a jeep!?!!!?

Its a midsized Wagoneer, also an XJ. optioned slightly different than a Cherokee but aside from the cosmetics, the same under the skin.

Was the wagoneer a trim option or was it the actual model name it was sold under?

edit: I just remember that the actual "Wagoneer" was the behemoth sized steel clad thing...

Musjunk22 said:
Was the wagoneer a trim option or was it the actual model name it was sold under?

It was a different model, still considered an XJ but its not a Cherokee, its a Waggy. Its an upper class Cherokee:)

EDIT: If you remember right, the Cherokee was also a full size at one point. Both werre SJs but were different models.

It was a different Model And there is nothing weird about the Jeep in that picture

The behemoth "Wagoneer" is the "Grand Wagoneer". Like stated before, they have a XJ size/body style Wagoneer as well. Generally they have a wood grain panel running down the sides or it's two tone on some of them.

That's what my 89 looks like. Not the best picture.

IMG_0293.jpg

Musjunk22 said:
Sorry if I offended anyone's "waggy". But thank you for the information. I did not know anything about the wagoneers.
You cant offend a Waggy owner, they are so sure they are better than Cherokee owners. ;););)

Its a Joke.;)

Just a little, the black Jeep gets jealous when I drive the Woody and vice versa, a regular triangle going on...

Nice Waggys, mine is an 87 wagoneer, ltd ed, with the towing package, class III hitch, and dual Dana 44's front an rear, all stock except the wood grain decals are gone and its painted black were the wood grain use to be. 4.0, 4x4, with 249,000 miles and still running.. Bought it for $1,500 in 2004, spent about $4,000 getting everything working again on it. The entire brake system, coolant system and the entire Renix system, except the ECU computer is new. Fixed the roof rack, major A/C upgrade to 134-a, etc. Power windows, power locks, power seats...I think the Wagoneer was a luxury version of the Cherokee.

The waggys also had different tail lights, all red.

Oh, and my Cherokee Pioneer, '85 gets jealous too, buts it's in another class by itself, as it has a Nissan 2.2 L diesel transplant from an '82, 720 Nissan 1/2 ton pick up truck. So the Wagoneer gets jealous of the 34 MPGs the Cherokee Pioneer gets now, and with diesel fuel!:clap: One big happy family. I also have 2 Cherokees that I am restoring now. One just needs a head gasket. But It still runs.

Ecomike said:
So the Wagoneer gets jealous of the 34 MPGs the Cherokee Pioneer gets now, and with diesel fuel!:clap:

34 MPGs.... WOW. that's like a pipe-dream, man!!! :eek:

Back