• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No clue what title to put

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
So... i've had this issue a couple times in the past 2 months. I have an 87 automatic... I went to put my Jeep into gear this morning, put it into reverse, hit the gas... and I didn't go anywhere. The engine just reved up... so I triedputting it into drive, the same thing happend, it didn't move... finally with enough gas it shifted into gear while making kind of a clunking noise below the Jeep. It has happend before generally when it was cold in the morning. It's only happend a few times. I have no clue as to why it's doing this... I need to adjust my TPS but wasn't sure if it was related to this issue. Thanks for any input.

My wifes Oldsmobile did exactly that, fine in the spring, summer fall, come winter and cold weather and it would take about 5 minutes of warming up to get the transaxle to go into gear. Flushed it on a machine, new fluid, can of sea foam, that helped a bit but after 2 weeks it started doing it again. Rather than take a chance on her breaking down somewhere I had a new jasper reman put in.

88xjsport...Are you talking about the tranny fluid or which fluid? I should probably go through and do all the fluids... but it's so stinkin cold out. I do need to get this issue solved though. And the rattle/bird chirping like sound that's coming from thefirewall area behind the heater/glove compartment area... dunno what that is yet.

Bdiddy11 said:
So... i've had this issue a couple times in the past 2 months. I have an 87 automatic... I went to put my Jeep into gear this morning, put it into reverse, hit the gas... and I didn't go anywhere. The engine just reved up... so I triedputting it into drive, the same thing happend, it didn't move... finally with enough gas it shifted into gear while making kind of a clunking noise below the Jeep. It has happend before generally when it was cold in the morning. It's only happend a few times. I have no clue as to why it's doing this... I need to adjust my TPS but wasn't sure if it was related to this issue. Thanks for any input.

My 87 Wagoneer has been doing that for 2 and 1/2 winters in forward. Always works in reverse, but needs to get warmed up for 2 to 5 minutes, the colder it is outside the longer it takes. I just put it in reverse and let it warm up, then it runs perfectly. Been like that for 20,000 miles. I just figure its got a little hard, sticky varnish that keeps one of the electric solenoids from working until the tranny fluid heats up and lets the solenoid switch, which shifts it into forward. There are some transmission additives on the market that can help dissolve and disperse the varnish, but make sure your fluid level is correct (read the dip stick), and drain some fluid before adding any additives. What color is your tranny fluid? Does it smell burnt?

Actually I don't work too well in the cold either!:shocked:

Bdiddy11 said:
...Are you talking about the tranny fluid or which fluid?
Yes, tranny fluid. I have only experienced this once after popping a tranny cooler line and blowing my fluid all over. Check your fluid while hot, in Park and running. Sounds like you're dry.

Bdiddy11 said:
Ok, i'll check my fluid. But... i'm a little mechanically un-inclined... where can I find where to check the fluid itself?

Well, on our ZJ which is the only auto in the family the dipstick is on the drivers side and and says 'transmission' on it....big yellow handle like the oil dipstick.

Right on Rich, thanks. Btw... your avatar is going to give me nightmares. Heath Ledger looks pretty creepy as the new Joker.

Bdiddy11 said:
Right on Rich, thanks. Btw... your avatar is going to give me nightmares. Heath Ledger looks pretty creepy as the new Joker.

Hows this, saw the trailer tonight when we went to see legend... :D :D :D

Oh... that is much better. In the trailer it doesn't even sound like him. The movie looks really good though. Can't wait to see it. How was Legend? I heard it had some pretty scary stuff...

hey bdiddy in case you dont know vehicle has to be warmed up in park and engine running to check the fluid unlike oil which of course is with engine off and the dipstick should be on passenger side back against the firewall

RichP said:
Hows this, saw the trailer tonight when we went to see legend... :D :D :D

We just got back from seeing Legend. Reminded me of Charlton Heston in the Omega Man. He was Nevel in that version too.

Ecomike said:
We just got back from seeing Legend. Reminded me of Charlton Heston in the Omega Man. He was Nevel in that version too.
Thats actually the third incarnation of legend, the first was with Vincent Price and called 'The last Man on Earth', you can download it free from the archive database. That would make an interesting trio to be released on a DVD pack, The last man on earth, Omega man and Legend. Yea, legend was a shocker.

So, is like, the last man on earth checking his tranny fluid level somewhere?? Did we like, um, kind of, like, stray off topic here.

I figure if the zombie like dudes didn't know where to find thier dipstick we could help them.

ParadiseXJ said:
So, is like, the last man on earth checking his tranny fluid level somewhere?? Did we like, um, kind of, like, stray off topic here.

I figure if the zombie like dudes didn't know where to find thier dipstick we could help them.

Hopefully the zombies can read the word 'TRANSMISSION' on that big bright red or yellow dipstick... :D :D :D :D

ParadiseXJ said:

Not sure its possible to stray off topic when the title is: "No clue what title to put" :laugh::laugh2:

I thought I'd seen all the old VP movies, quess I missed that one, interesting. I found it interesting how they switched & modernized some things like using genetic engineering as the cause now versus biological warfare in the Omega man. Kind of made an updated statement.

I was dissapointed that he was not driving a JEEP! :bawl:I guess the dipsticks are still in Hollywood!:laugh: Or maybe they are just low on Tranny fluid!:eyes:

Back