• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Charging system gremlin

Ernrok

NAXJA Forum User
About a week ago, while driving I noticed the "check gauge" light came on. So I checked them and the amp gauge was at about 8 or 10 amps. I then turned off the ignition and restarted it and all went back to normal. This morning I started her up and she did the samething, no check gauge light. But this time I reved the engine and it showed around 14 amps. Any help would be appreciated. 99 XJ 4.0L A/T
Ernrok

Last edited:
I think what you mean is volts not amps. If your reading the factory gauge on a 99. But 9~10 volts is low anyway. So start by cleaning battery post. Add water if needed. Many no maintenance battery will still need water under high demand conditions. Lots of lights, big stereo amp, etc. Check belt for tension and fitness. If no problems are found. Have the battery/charging system checked. Some places will do his for free

badron said:
I think what you mean is volts not amps. If your reading the factory gauge on a 99. But 9~10 volts is low anyway. So start by cleaning battery post. Add water if needed. Many no maintenance battery will still need water under high demand conditions. Lots of lights, big stereo amp, etc. Check belt for tension and fitness. If no problems are found. Have the battery/charging system checked. Some places will do his for free

Yes I ment volts. I have a red top optima. The belt was making some noise a few weeks ago, so I sprayed it with belt dressing and it's quiet now. I will replace soon, but it weird how it worked after shuting it off and turned it back on. I don't have any extra lights or big stereo, it's all stock.
Ernrok

Do be warned that if you take it to like auto zone or checker and they tell you it's the voltage regulator do not just replace the alternator. Your alternator's voltage is externally regulated by the computer. This regulator I've rarely ever heard of going bad. Clean your cables on your alternator and battery. Be sure to disconnect them from the battery first. Does this happen with anything on running such as the auxillary fan or heater? I experienced this once before with these yahoo's and 136.00 dollars later still had the same problem as you have described.

Jeepm@n said:
Do be warned that if you take it to like auto zone or checker and they tell you it's the voltage regulator do not just replace the alternator. Your alternator's voltage is externally regulated by the computer. This regulator I've rarely ever heard of going bad. Clean your cables on your alternator and battery. Be sure to disconnect them from the battery first. Does this happen with anything on running such as the auxillary fan or heater? I experienced this once before with these yahoo's and 136.00 dollars later still had the same problem as you have described.
Yes Jeepman the first time it happened I was driving with the lights and heater on. The second time i had just started her up.
Ernrok

Back