• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Space for a spare 33"

anotherskait

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 92XJ that currently sits on 31"s. I hope to make the jump up to 33's after the new year, but havent figured out the spare tire yet:
I can't get a swing out rear bumper because I live in DC, park on the street, and wouldnt be able to open it with a car parked behind me.
I don't want to put it on the roof for COG & gas mileage issues.
It wont fit laying flat in the back.

I was thinking that I could build something up to hold it in the back at an angle.

Otherwise, would it be bad for a radial tire if I left it partially inflated in the back? I'm worried that the flat spot @ the gate and flat spot @ the rear seat would hurt the tire after a while.

Anybody have any creative ideas? Experiences?

Once you go to 33s, having a spare on the roof won't be a gas milage issue. There is a big difference between MPG on 31s and 33s (at least in my case). While I was on 31s I moved my spare from the roof to a rear mount and there wasn't a noticable improvement in gas mileage.

I folded down the rear seat to get my spare to fit. I am looking at builing a storage platform for the rear to stow my gear and mounting the spare on top of it.

I have a 3311.50r15 that lays down in my 91 just fine. I only have it at 25 psi but i will be buying a rear bumper with a tire mount soon. its for the space not to save gas.

Same here, but I snagged a free 33/9.50 for a spare and mounted it on a stock 15x7 wheel to take up less space in the cargo area. Matches up just fine with a 285/75/16, if I ever actually use it.

I'm working on a cargo rack that will sit above the spare and my plan is to weld a plate to the floor that will incorporate a quick release retension system for the spare so I don't have to rely on a ratchet strap. I doubt a strap would do little to keep the tire in place if I were to go rubber side up............

word. my bfg mt 33x12.50/r15 on a 15x8 fits fine laying flat. its a bit of a squeeze, and there's no way in hell a 34 or anything would fit. i'm just saving some money for a rear tire carrier for when that joyous day comes that my MTZ 33s finally wear down enough that my wife okays new (bigger) tires.

34x9.50x15 Swamper TSL lays flat on the loor onj my 98 with zero clearance issues. One freaky looking tire I wish I had 3 more.

Kejtar said:
How so? I ran with the tire laying inside for nearly 2 years.

Yea, I have a 33x12.5x15 laying in the back of my 94. You just need to push it all the way against the seat.

Mr. Pickle said:
Yea, I have a 33x12.5x15 laying in the back of my 94. You just need to push it all the way against the seat.

...and don't center it. :) Move it to the side of the center latch and it should close just fine. STRAP IT DOWN!!

1996cc said:
Mine fits as well, laying down. Like a glove. Set your purse down and push the thing in there. :)

:laugh3: :laugh3:

You're not strapped for space until you have to fit 4 31s in a TJ with the top on and the backseat in ;)

I think I'm going to skip the hood mount.
I have a 31" in the back now, and just looking at it didn't think that a 33" would fit laying flat. Glad to know that it will. Thanks for the info!

if you can't get a swing out bumper just mount it on the hatch. i've seen some people do it on here. take a mount from something like a liberty or wrangler and bolt it to the back. that way you still have the same amount of room as when you would normally open the hatch.

mudslinger4x4 said:
if you can't get a swing out bumper just mount it on the hatch. i've seen some people do it on here. take a mount from something like a liberty or wrangler and bolt it to the back. that way you still have the same amount of room as when you would normally open the hatch.

that will work on a 92? arent the hatches pre 96 fiberglass? i wouldnt think that would hold a 33 or whatever he wants. but i could be wrong...

Back