• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case sliping or front axle

jeeping99tj

NAXJA Forum User
HI guys i have a problem i was wheeling and and either the axle disconnect or the t case is slipping. i was heading up and something kicked out and makes a nice grinding noice then kicked in. i checked all three hose for vacumm and all hooked up.

If you are looking at the actuator from underneath the passenger seat and looking toward the front of the vehicle, you need to supply vacuum to the middle line. Your part time light will be on all the time possibly.

ok shimmed the vac. shift fork anything else i need to do. it worked for like ten mins real good then startin the same stuff. then was making a clicking noise up front after putting it back in 2wd. i made sure it was all the way in where it needs to go. IDK what else

Jack the front wheel up off the ground and try to see if it is clicking at the disconnect, or, in the transfer case. What transfer case do you have a 231, or 242?

mccastlej said:
Jack the front wheel up off the ground and try to see if it is clicking at the disconnect, or, in the transfer case. What transfer case do you have a 231, or 242?
he's got a 231, the 242's came without the CAD.

drain the t-case fluid, if you here grinding then it's making shavings somewhere. If the ATF in the case comes out with a silvery sheen then the t-case is eating itself, probably the chain slipping, or the shift selector isn't engaging it all the way.

After that, I'd pop the cover on the front diff and look in there.

ok thanks
will try that and aslo just started leaking oil pretty bad up at front of motor. thinkin maybe crankshaft seal but i went out today and there was alot of oil on ground. its an inline 6 and 89 with 200000 miles.

Back