• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear question

chadd_raylee_389@h

NAXJA Forum User
so i got an offer from a local salvage yard that i called for a low ratio carrier. he has a 97 wrangler that he up graded axles in and has 4.56 gears and welded up spiders in the rear. i bought the rear carrier and gears and all for the rear for 200 bucks. he said that they where only in for 6 months and his jeep is a trail only rig. he is going to be putting a dana 44 in the front and wants to sell me the d30 ring and pinion, carrier, and a lockrite for 350 bucks. my question is will this fit my xj. i have a 1990 xj with the disco front. im just not sure if his 97 wrangler has a low pinion or hi pinion.

thanx in advance

97 Wrang has the LP. Carriers are same for D30's. Don't bye the ring and pinion. You could buy the whole axle if it is in good shape, as long as your not running 6" on stock arms. :)

edit hawk beat me

everything with the axle its self will bolt up to my xj though right? im not worried about having a hi pinion. i dont rock crawl. the rare ocational mudding out in a buddy of mines pasture so clearence is not an issue. even if he dont sell the whole axle or without the gears and just the carrier and locker, i still got a hell of a deal with the rear anyhow.

That wasn't that great of a deal 200. for used gears and a burned carrier

You can get gears and NEW bearings plus everything to set it up from completeoffroad for 189.00 guess you saved money on the carrier..

gonna reuse his bearings? And your old spider gears? Make sure you check. ~94 and up spiders are bigger.

Back