• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Canyon rims on 4" lifted XJ

mr.vic

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 4" lift to put into my XJ in the next couple weeks and want to put a set of 31s on it at the same time. my jeep is a 93 cherokee country 4 door and does not see alot of offroading. it has the mesh style rims on there now. nice but not to my liking too much.

i was going to pick up a set of canyon rims since they are 15x8 and i have a good price on them..but i was reading different threads and posts saying that there is likely to be a fair amount of tire rubbing on fenders and suspension parts when off roading using these rims and 31's on a lifted XJ

does anyone have a similar setup or just using the canyon rims? any pics would be good :) what are your recomendations for trimming and what clearance issues did you have?

thanks for the help and advice :peace:

Dont remember off-hand how much backspacing they have, but if they are "stock-ish" rims they probably have 5 or 5.25" of backspacing, which, will make your tires rub on the control arms when you go to full lock on your steering (or close to it).

Not sure about fender rubbing though....with that much backspacing, they're probably tucked into the fenders pretty good....if they do hit your fenders, either trim or bumpstop!

http://www.axletwisters.com/hillclimb.wmv

This is a short vid of my XJ on 5" lift with 33's and Canyons. I'm guessing your 31's will only measure to about 29.5 on those wheels. My 33's measure to 31". With 4" lift and those rims with 31" tires, you should only rub your control arms when turning sharply. Did you trim off the front lip of your front fender?

Edit: By the way... I use spacers behind my wheels to keep my 33x12.50's from rubbing my control arms and springs.

I have the RE 3.5 lift, 31x10.50x15 BFG ATKO tires, RE tubular LCA's and the Jeep 15x8 Ravine wheels off a Sahara Wrangler. Have not noticed any rubbing. Hope that helps.

I have 31s on my canyon rims, 3.5 lift. In a full turn the tires just barely rub the LCAs.

I guess the solution is wheel spacers... not sure if that is frowned upon. But for mainly road use you should be fine. Infact you have another half inch. It may not even touch the arms.

On road use, you will have a little rubbing at full lock turns. You can adjust the stops to fix that but loose turning radius. Off road will be a different story. I am lifted 3.5" w/31's and without the sway bar connected the fronts pretty much rub everwhere. Back seems ok, barely rubs flare in one spot. I am playing around up front with different bumpstop length that I think will stop most of the rubbing.

thanks for the advice and comments, appreciate it very much :worship:

i am going to put the 31s on the canyons and see where it rubs and go from there.

harvo, cool video. your jeep looks nice and is my XJ will look very similar.

Thanks and Happy New year to you all.

Back