• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

COLD AIR INTAKE, ccv breather

mbiker72

NAXJA Forum User
I have a K&N cone filter i want to install, but im having a hard time finding cold air, i am not yet ready to cut holes in the hood, so my underhood temperature is pretty high. Where can i get cold air to the filter, i dont want to suck up hot air coming off the headers. The other question concerns the CCV breather. Does the breather need the vacuum created by the intake, or can i replace the whole thig with one of those small aftermarket breathers that looks like a small air filter? Or if im going about this bass ackwards, let me know. Ive searched the forums and cant find exactly what i need so dont yell at me lol.

BTW.....Im a NOOB with big ambitions and a tiny budget

i just connected a k&n cone onto the end of the factory rubber tube and didnt connect the ccv to anything and it runs ok...

qwerty247 said:
i just connected a k&n cone onto the end of the factory rubber tube and didnt connect the ccv to anything and it runs ok...
it will run fine, but not having a functioning CCV system will allow all sorts of nasty stuff to live under the valve cover.
Combustible vapors
moisture from the oil that is evaporating.
It will make a jolly mess of sludge under there after some time.

The big CCV tube is just to bring clean air into the valve cover, so a breather filter accomplishes the same thing (better) than connecting it to the air tube. It's the small tube that goes from valve cover to manifold that needs to be left alone, thats what sucks air out of the cover, and creates the vaccum needed to continuously ventilate the crankcase.

It's the small tube that goes from valve cover to manifold that needs to be left alone, thats what sucks air out of the cover, and creates the vaccum needed to continuously ventilate the crankcase.

Grommet has a 2.6mm hole that gets baked and gunked up. New grommet and tube is about $17 through NAPA/Echlin.

CAM_0600.jpg

Immediate increase in gas mileage and seat of the pants power. I find that adjusting it to either side or up or down or anything even an inch completely messes with the power.

Next i am replacing the pipe with a peice that is 4 inches longer, so it juts the cone into the very far corner of the engine bay. The air is cooler there and there will be a large power increase even more.

ITs a great mod- 1 reccomendation
Put that box back in when your gonna go wheeling

oh pss breather is comrpised of a hole drilled through the pvc and a 1/2 inch hose coupler (not screw on type- puncture type) stuck in the pipe and in the breather tube. 0 problems.

Back