• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CHnage dPlugs and stuff now it wont start

BIgDaddyChia

RRC Organizer
So I changed out everything today, Reinstalled it all and now it wont start. Went buy a chilton for firing order but it dosent seem to be working. rotated all the wires on the cap one way and nothign. It was running fine bfore i pulled i changed the plugs and stuff. ANy ideas.

well ther's your problem!! you went with a chilton!!! :laugh: go get you a HAYNES & redo the wires. no seriously, are all the wires on correctly & tightly? on both ends? you turned the distributor cap? or just the wires on the cap? other wise it does crank (i.e. starter wants to kick over) but no spark to fire?

next time pull one plug/wire at a time when you change them out. that way everything goes back together the same way it came off & there is no doubt to which wire goes to which plug etc etc.

mattbred said:
Make sure the wire from the coil to the distributor wasnt accidently unplugged.

X2, and did accidentally forget to put a rotor in?

also, very easy to remember firing order...

15 is too young

36 is too old

is just right

don't need no manual for that.....:cheers:

Jeff

Did you change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, distributor? "and stuff" could mean a few things...

Are you getting spark at each plug wire?
Did you get the correct Cap/Rotor? The auto parts store gave me the wrong one the first time.
Did you gap the plugs or were they already done?

If you're standing near the passenger front fender, looking directly across the engine bay, at 5 o'clock on the cap should be #1 which is the foreward most cylinder. The firing order is cast into the intake manifold.

Slo-Sho said:
If you're standing near the passenger front fender, looking directly across the engine bay, at 5 o'clock on the cap should be #1 which is the foreward most cylinder. The firing order is cast into the intake manifold.

Ok thats what i have it set at now. And It still ownt fire. I didnt gap the plus becuase I couldnt find what i needed to gap them too. Ill take the plugs back out and gap them see if that works. Got a buddy coming over in the morning to help me. he is a jeep mechanic so hopefully he can fix it.

The gap on the plugs should be .35, I believe. I've done a few sets now and had the same problem twice. The first time, I didn't have the rotor seated all the way in. The second time I didn't have the wire to the coil on tight.

If the rig in question is the 1992 XJ in your signature, one option you may wish to try is to turn the key from 'off' to 'on' (but not 'start') three times in a row. Write down how many times the 'check engine' light flashes. It will flash several times in a row, then pause, then start flashing again. This is what codes are stored in your computer and could give you a hint as to what's wrong. The pulses are paired together. For instance: 3 flashes, a pause, then 5 flashes is code 35. Code 55 is basically 'no more codes'.

I had the same problem on my 1994 when I first bought it. It just wouldn't start at all. (Stopped for gas.) It turned out that the Distributor Pick-up Coil was shot, and the computer told me so.

Hope it's a simple fix.

:)

x2 on making sure the rotor is all the way down. There is a little tab where it lines up with a slot and it will compress a bit when you screw down the cap but make sure it is firmly seated. I had to push pretty hard on mine to get it down.

I broke my heater valving fawking with that #6 plug too!!! Had to taxi back down to Napa before they closed!

that sux man. i had the hose bust on me, just sitting there!!! $80m from the stealership. (hose from the "overflow" bottle that goes to everything. metal, plastic garbage).

I'm thinking of just bypassing mine. I mean, how many times have folks here busted it? Or had it slowly seep fluid? Plus, using the heater for 5 out of 12 months and leaving it to sit the rest of the time is a great way for stuff to cake on the inside of the heater core. I'd rather have it circulating all of the time.

I'm glad it's running for you. Dodged THAT bullet, eh?

:)

Back