• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing some odds and ends

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
I have several small minor stuff on my 90 cherokee laredo that need to be fixed, so I figured I would fix them one at a time so here goes. My front driver's side parking (orange light) is out when the lights are on, but works fine when I use my turn signals, what could this be? My weatherstripping for the doors/windows, frames is old and decaying and I need to replace these too, I was wondering where I could find a whole set at, plus on my passenger side when ever it rains hard enough, water will leak in through the top of the crack where the door in the frame meet. I looked up there and there seems to be no seal of any kind there, is there supposed to be one? This caused a burnout speaker on that side previously and the window vent seal on that side leaks mildly, but not as bad as at the top where the door and the frame meet. Can I just buy a whole set of seals? Would it be time consuming to install these? Do I have to rip apart my door interior panels? Also I mentioned before in a previous post that my dimmer switch for instrument gauge lights and interior lighting on the dash doesn't dim its just one constant setting, I think someone mentioned that I needed a new dimmer. Could someone tell me if I need this, and how much would it cost. All replies are greatly appreciated, and thanks.

Your turn signal bulb is prob dual filament... ones probably shot, so replace it. Start searching the web, ebay maybe for weatherstripping... lots of those companies on the web that sell oem/stock stuff should be able to help you. As for your dimmer, get a new one... or just deal with the prob. Search a junk yard for the dimmer if your on a budget. Good luck!

Instrument dimmer is part of the headlight switch. You need to get the whole thing. I don't know how much that comes to, but that's what you need to search for.

For door leak at top, if the door is closing properly in other respects, it's probably just in need of a little tweak inward. Over the years, especially after many slams with windows shut, the top of the door can bend outward a little. You need to bend it back inward a little. This can be done with care. There are two good ways to do this, depending partly on your own physical size, perhaps.

1. With door slightly ajar and window down, sit on the seat, brace your knee against the body of the door, and reach up and yank inward on the top of the window frame. Don't overdo. Test with each yank.

2. With door open and window open, get a piece of 2 x 4, and use it as a lever (top of 2x4 outside top of window hole, bottom inside bottom of window hole) to pry the top of the door inward. This can be a little more precise than yanking, but you still need to take care and test frequently.

If you have opening vent windows and they leak, first make sure there are no kinks or creases, and that the gaskets are intact. Grease the part that meets the glass lightly with silicone grease (not a petroleum based grease, just silicone). Surprisingly, this can help stop leaks by itself. If there's a crease or fold, straighten it out, and close the window carefully on it. Eventually you can retrain the rubber, but you need to keep straightening it out for a while.

Make sure that the latch post attached to the glass is not loose. If it is, you can tighten it by removing the latch. There's a little roll pin in the latch handle. Drive that out, remove the handle, making sure not to lose the wrinkly washer beneath it, and you'll find that the post is hollow, and has a philips screw inside it. Tighten the screw and put it all back together.

Finally, you can fine tune the window closing by loosening the philips screw on the top pivot, which allows you to move the glass around a little for optimum fit.

www.rockauto.com headlight switch $18..........www.teamcherokee.com window seal kit (4 dr) $79.95 also have door wipe(s) (4dr) $119.95 or master kit, all of above $199. You can also get the Secondary Rain Molding for about $12, mine was cracked on my '91 and I was amazed at how much rain that skinny little piece would let in, I did a quick fix on mine but I am ordering the one from Team Chero.

Back