• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question steering shaft play (with pictures)

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

Recently, with outside temperatures dropping, I noticed a bit of play in the wheel in the mornings (cold engine). This would consistently disappear when the engine got warmer. After searching this forum and elsewhere I figured it must be the steering shaft. And it is. But I still don't understand what's going on.

I've added two close-up pictures (pic taken from top, left is front engine, right is firewall) of the shaft upper joint. The part indicated by the arrows moves relative to the outer casing. The first picture is wheel moved to left, the second is wheel moved to right. The inner shaft bridges the gap shown in the pictures relative to the outer casing, which is thus the play.

Now, when the engine is cold the motion is very sudden and abrupt, which gives the sensation of play in the wheel, and a 'clunky' feel when the inner part slips and bridges the play at once. When the engine is warm the parts will still move relative to eachother, but very gradual, so you don't feel it really (except that would probably result in some indirectness in the steering for the first bit of the wheel motion; which is also what I invariably experienced but have never mind).

Is this part of the design of the shaft or is something seriously wrong here?

What about the abrupt motion when cold (like first 5-10 minutes)? Really bad or just normal wear?

Replacement needed?

Thanks for any pointers and input! I'm clueless.

Tim

LeftTurnArrow.jpg

RightTurnArrow2.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation! I was kind of thinking the shaft/joint was on its way out. Just doesn't feel/sound/look right. Lawsoncl, unfortunately my welding skills are not anywhere close to something I would like to trust my life to:), so I'll just replace.

So on replacements. This is a stock XJ; a DD which does about 400 miles per week, but exclusively on the road.

I think the Borgeson replacement shaft looks great (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BRG-893&N=700+0&autoview=sku) but it's expensive and probably overkill, right? Also they say it will fit '84-'01, which seems weird since the connection shaft to column on later models differed (from what I've read at least).

What about the Crown (e.g. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=10854+1557+4294967003+6304), which can go for as low as $100. You probably get what you pay for, but anyone experience with Crown parts? Good enough?

Other alternatives?

Then, on the install. Can I simply remove the shaft? Or do I need to loosen column or steering gear? Which strategy is best/easiest (gear or column), and are there any special tools needed (Pitman arm removal?)?

Thanks for any help! I want to do this job asap so any pointers on what to get and intallation strategy are really appreciated!

Tim

On a pre-97 you'll have to loosen the steering gear. There's just not quite enough slip at the ends to allow you to insert the shaft without moving something, and the collapsible shaft is tack welded in place in a way that does not allow it to telescope without breaking. It's annoying, because it comes very close to fitting, and it's obvious they could have made it easier with a little thought. Later shafts telescope easily, but I have heard that the fitting at the column end is wrong, so you can't update. I don't know how Borgeson handles that, but I'd check before ordering. I'd look at junkyard options myself.

I've had the EXACT problem in the exact temperatures causing me the exact frustration. I've decided to just weld the thing in place. I should have plenty of absorption with tires and steering assist.

Any differing thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

ProGun said:
I've had the EXACT problem in the exact temperatures causing me the exact frustration. I've decided to just weld the thing in place. I should have plenty of absorption with tires and steering assist.

Any differing thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
I've often wondered why there's a cushioned joint at all there, and wondered what would happen if you did away with it. It's not a conventional rag joint for flexibility, since there are u-joints. On the other hand, I'm not willing to be the guinea pig, so I hope you give us a report.

Back