• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to stow JKS disconnects

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
How or where do you all with JKS disconnects stow them when you're disconnected?
Ive been tieing them up with small bungies but thats a pain and has not been real reliable.

yep, i have those, they are pretty cool....you could pick up the materials for it at a hardware store and make your own for about the same price.

JNickel101 said:
yep, i have those, they are pretty cool....you could pick up the materials for it at a hardware store and make your own for about the same price.

I just spent $17 at Tractor Supply for all the material to make the cable retainers. I'll try to put it all together tomorrow.
Probably shouldve just bought the DPG ones for a couple bucks more.

Those DPG cable ties are good, but be careful. One of mine detached once offroad and got caught in the spring. That pulled the other side so hard it straightened the eye bolt out . Now I use a big rubber bugee on one side and a ball bungee on the other.

if you have the skid plate on the nose of the xj, you can just drill it and install the storage pins that come with the jks quiker discos. At least thats what Dad and I did

Ray H said:
Ok, a search revealed this. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/dpg_products.htm.
Something like that may work.

That looks good. Maybe a single zip-tie on the cable right where it loops around the discos to prevent any flopping and them slipping out the end of the loop.

Still using zip-ties, but the cable is much stronger than most zip-ties. And for around $20, it looks like a good product that'll save you the time and effort of a trip to the hardware store(s) and cobbling it together yourself.

I'm ordering a pair on wednesday when they get back from the holiday break.:)

I have JKS sway bar quicker discos and have been wanting an easy way to store them when disconnected. I have seen the other methods with using zip ties, bungee cords and homemade cables, but none of those were what I wanted.

The JKS instructions say that you can use the storage pins on a TJ or XJ/ZJ with OEM front skid, but not to install them if you don't have the skid. But wait, I did!!
I used some materials I had laying around, so it was a free mod per se.

I used some flat steel-1 1/4" wide x 3/16" thick cut to a length of 2 1/8", self drilling stainless screws, and some nuts for the storage pins. I didn't take any measurements, but I'll get it up here later.

Diagram (not to scale):

JKSswaybarbracket.jpg

1. Measure the flat steel to desired length.

2. Drill two 1/4" holes for the screws at the top of the flat steel and one 5/16" hole for the storage pin bolt.

3. Bolt the storage pin to the flat steel. You will need a washer and nut to do this.

4. Place the bracket flush with the bottom of the C4x4 tow hook bracket.

5. Line up the right edge of the bracket to the outer edge of the rear most tow hook bracket mounting bolt.

6. Use some tape to hold the bracket to help with installing the self drilling screws.

7. Install the screws.

8. Remove tape.

The results:

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

*Not tested yet, but there may be contact of the storage pin and tire upon full stuff while turned at full lock. I have 4.75" backspacing and 30x9.50 tire. This will be easy remedied with less backspacing.

One thing to note, you will need to slightly bend the bracket inward to keep the sway bar from hitting the pin or you can let it "adjust" itself like I did. :D

Fast95Neon said:
thats not sweet that sick....bet if you made those lazy people will buy hint hint

:shhh: I made these on a whim using hand power tools. I do plan on buying a drill press, band saw and some other tools to start making some things for myself. If I had these tools, I could have made them alot nicer. Plus, I am thinking of redesigning them. I don't know though.

As for making them for other people, well, it's a thought I have had.

jwtrapper said:
I stow mine in the corner of the garage....:laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao: Your funny!!:wave1: :peace:

Easier yet get a small "L" bracket one end goes to the rear most bolt of the sway bar frame bracket the other has the disco pin done.

Hint if you are losing your lynch pins get some SS cable and attach to the link

cloudswimmer said:
I just tie mine up with big zip ties :D
Gotta love those big azz HVAC zip ties

Back