• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOW TO IDENTIFY A 8.25 (8 1/4) CHRYCO.

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
There is at least 5 threads a week on this. Here is the fastest and easiest way to do it.

As every noob knows the 8.25 and D35 look almost identical from the back of the XJ.

Here is sure fire way to know what ya got under there. This will require you to do more than snap a pic on your phone and ask it on here.

1. Crawl under the side of the XJ.

2. Locate rear pinion yoke, this is where the driveshaft bolts to the rear axle.

3. Reach your hand right above the pinion yoke.

4. Feel for 3 bumps sticking up from the axle casting.

If you have said bumps you have the 8.25 Chryco axle. If not you have a D35 or D44.

If you are one of the people that just have to know what the bumps are for I will tell you. The 8.25 was a car axle first. The bumps are drilled and tapped for a pinion snubber when used in the car applications.

Last edited:
8.25 has a flat edge casting on the bottom edge of the pumpkin and the 35 does not...

98XJROKS said:
8.25 has a flat edge casting on the bottom edge of the pumpkin and the 35 does not...

Yep, they do. But still there seems to be confusion identifying it.

In what regard?

In the regard that people don't seem to want to look close enough to differentiate between the two.

Really, it never seemed that hard to me. The flat casting on the bottom is obvious enough that I can spot what XJs have the 8.25 while I'm driving in traffic.

Good info about the pinion snubber, though! Didn't know that one.

Back