• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp of non H.O. 4.0L

yj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I might be able to get a Cherokee 4.0L non H.O. for free. Still not sure what year it is. I was going to do EFI on my '89 wrangler so I have 2 H.O. efi intakes: the old log style and a 1999+ curvy one. Is it hard to upgrade the head and intake to H.O.?

I was also thinking of putting my 4.2L in it from the wrangler and putting a V8 in the YJ
Thanks

It is a pain to swith to an HO motor from the non HO. There is significant changes of how the sensor setup is wired. Your best, and most logical, option is to buy a modified 258 crank from ebay and stroke that non-HO. You can even get the head rebuilt very nicely for 300ish. I had mine pocket ported, the intake and exaust run ported to match the gaskets, new valves (2.02 int, 1.90 ext), and the combustion area enlarged and polished. All that for just under 300! the gains from this work will always beat out the HO cost of switching.

Notably was the computer change and making sure each of the sensors where to the corresponding input on the harness. Plus the cost of the new computer got annoying. I got halfway into it and got annoyed, so I traded the block for an 89 and built a 5.0ish instead.

Then again I hate doing anything that involves screwing around with wires.

Back