• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote Starter/Keyless Entry HELP!

akennedy99

NAXJA Forum User
So I got the Ready Remote remote starter & keyless entry for christmas and am having lots of problems installing it. I believe it is very similar to the bulldog system.

I have a 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L auto 4wd, no cruise control, it had the infinity sound sound but it no longer uses it, and i do not know if it ever had an alarm or keyless entry before.

First, I have spliced and added all wires from the ignition harness, so that is all set. I have also added the hood latch and brake safety start things, as well as the parking light wire.

I am stuck on the door lock connections. When I go to their website it says:
Power Lock; orange/purple; drivers kick panel; NOTE:
Must use relays to trigger the lock and unlock wires. Close all doors when testing.
Power Unlock; pink/purple; drivers kick panel;
Must use relays to trigger the lock and unlock wires. Close all doors when testing.
Lock Motor; see DirectFax document 1074

The problems I am having is that I do not know how to use relays to trigger the lock and unlock wires, and also I do not know how to include the lock motor becuase I can not find DirectFax document 1074.

Also, I do not know if I need to use the tach signal, does anyone know this? If so What grey wire is it?

Do I have to use the Retained Accessory Power for the lights that shut off after a couple seconds or can I use that for the dome light?

Also I do not know if I need to use an Immobolizer Bypass Module. I no longer have the original key, and if this was grey you need it so can anyone tell me how else I could find out, VIN number, etc?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Some remote starters have various methods of knowing when the vehicle is started. Some can sense the tach signal as well as sense an increase in the voltage.

Using the tach signal is a much better method, IMO....

This is what tells the remote starter to actually stop the starter from running.

FYI when I did this on my 95 (OBD1) many documents listed a different wire for the tach signal. It took 3 tires before I actually got the correct wire. Use a factory service manual - can't go wrong there.

They seem like a big task initially (look at all of those wires! Enough to put you down......but after you start working, it's quite easy. Hardest part is making all of the wires tidy and kept up. Zipties are your friend there.

I already had an alarm/keyless entry installed from when i bought the Jeep used. I simply bought an add-on keyless entry without remote that was meant to be activated off of a circuit. I used the trunk releasy key on my alarm/keyless entry remote to activate the remote starter. Works like a champ and was much cheaper than starting all over with an all-in-one unit.

akennedy99 said:
So I got the Ready Remote remote starter & keyless entry for christmas and am having lots of problems installing it. I believe it is very similar to the bulldog system.

I have a 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L auto 4wd, no cruise control, it had the infinity sound sound but it no longer uses it, and i do not know if it ever had an alarm or keyless entry before.

First, I have spliced and added all wires from the ignition harness, so that is all set. I have also added the hood latch and brake safety start things, as well as the parking light wire.

The problems I am having is that I do not know how to use relays to trigger the lock and unlock wires, and also I do not know how to include the lock motor becuase I can not find DirectFax document 1074.

Also, I do not know if I need to use the tach signal, does anyone know this? If so What grey wire is it?

Do I have to use the Retained Accessory Power for the lights that shut off after a couple seconds or can I use that for the dome light?

Also I do not know if I need to use an Immobolizer Bypass Module. I no longer have the original key, and if this was grey you need it so can anyone tell me how else I could find out, VIN number, etc?

Any help would be great, thanks!

If you run a jumper from these wires to ground that would activate your solenoid. Keep in mind that this would be momentary and would be like activating the power door lock switches. In other words just bump the ground.

Jeepm@n said:
If you run a jumper from these wires to ground that would activate your solenoid. Keep in mind that this would be momentary and would be like activating the power door lock switches. In other words just bump the ground.

Can you explain this a little more? Is this waht I want to do? Jumper? bump?

If you wanted your locks to operate these wires have 12volts to them constantly. When you would hit the switches it completes the circuits to ground making the solenoids either unlock or lock the doors is all its telling you.

This is kind of an old thread, but I just purchased a Ready Remote, remote start/keyless entry setup, and am stuck on the keyless entry part. I've got the remote start and all the safety features hooked up, but can't figure out what wiring setup my doorlocks use. The wiring information that the companys website provided state that I must use relays to trigger the lock and unlock wires. Does this mean I need to use relays already in the Jeep, or that I need to purchase new relays and wire them in? Cherokee is a 99 (2 door if that makes any difference). Thanks for any help

If you already have lock/unlock relays, you can simply splice into them. You just need to figure out which one is which and what wires are the triggers.

My 88 has a factory keyless entry but the fobs a are long gone. I did the same.

This is kind of an old thread, but I just purchased a Ready Remote, remote start/keyless entry setup, and am stuck on the keyless entry part. I've got the remote start and all the safety features hooked up, but can't figure out what wiring setup my doorlocks use. The wiring information that the companys website provided state that I must use relays to trigger the lock and unlock wires. Does this mean I need to use relays already in the Jeep, or that I need to purchase new relays and wire them in? Cherokee is a 99 (2 door if that makes any difference). Thanks for any help

I am at the same stage. What do you do here?? Add relays or splice into a wire already there. The 12volt site just says the same as what has been said here. Someone must know exactly what they did when they put theirs in? Mine is a 99 as well. I understand everything but how to wire the locks up??? Realys or not???

basically what you are looking at doing is taking two relays and wiring them to trigger a ground signal to activate the door looks. relays are simple once you figure out how they work. Get yourself a couple bosch style 12v 30amp relays. Find out what your alarm/ remote start uses as a trigger for the door locks ( usually it is negative/ground). once you know that you can start hooking up the relays. assuming your alarm uses a negative trigger for door locks,designate one relay as lock and one as unlock, take the lock relay and connect the lock wire from the alarm/remote start to 85 on the relay. you will need to connect 86 to 12 volts ( you can use the main power to the alarm and add a wire for this). now take and run a wire from 87 to the lock wire on the jeep and one from 30 to ground. The unlock relay will be the same thing but using the unlock wires.

Feel free to pm me if you get confused or have any issues. i spent 5 years installing car audio and alarms so i do know my way around 12v electronics

Back