• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lubing the hood release cable

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Noticed that the hood release cable on my 98 is getting a might tight, anybody got a quick lube method for the cable w/o going out and buying one of those motorcycle cable lube clamps.

First check the plate that is riveted under the hood that the cable release pulls on, mine opened really hard and it was just that plate corroding. It finally seized and I replaced it, now the hood release works very freely.

Eric

Gerr said:
use pb blaster to fre up the gunk and corrosion then hit it with a liquid lithium it should work better well at least mine did
+2

my cable release came off in my hand as I was cycling it with the hood open thank god.

replacing that cable is a pain, I tied a wire to it and fed it through the firewall, and tied the wire to the new cable and pulled it back through.

I've used runny Wally World white grease on the two latch assemblies, and had an old can of motorcycle chain lube to do the cable. Leave the hood up, and nurse a low visc lube down into the sheath. When I got my '92 almost nine years ago, it was a two- handed affair to pop the hood. To this day, with regular lube, two fingers will do.

I did the poor mans cabler luber before I got the clamp on widget ($11, btw). Cut the corner off a plastic baggie and slide the end of the cable in. Tape the corner of the baggie to the sheath so it looks like a funnel attached to the end of the cable. Hold or tie the end up high and pour some light oil in the bag. Wait until you get something out the other end - could be a few hours, hence the recommendation to tie the end up. Might be a good idea to wrap a paper towel around the free end to catch drips.

Lubing the cable? Blow some dry graphite in there (it's sold as a lock lubricant,) and then use canned air to blow it down the length of the cable sheath. I've been doing it that way for years - I'm not comfortable using any sort of liquid or semi-liquid lube (just like in locks, and a few other places.)

Yea, dribbled some lock ease down there for 30 minutes using the spray can with the hood as vertical as I could get it, freed it right up. Would have lubed the rest with some lithium but the damn can ran out of gas and it's still half full Grrrrrrrrr...

5-90 said:
Lubing the cable? Blow some dry graphite in there (it's sold as a lock lubricant,) and then use canned air to blow it down the length of the cable sheath. I've been doing it that way for years - I'm not comfortable using any sort of liquid or semi-liquid lube (just like in locks, and a few other places.)

My preferred lube is called Silkolene which is a light oil with graphite in it. It's marketed for motorcycles, but I use it for lots of other stuff. Plain dry graphite doesn't work well for non-stainless steel cables or sheaths that are exposed to weather as it doesn't prevent rusting.

Back