• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help with SYE and extended brake lines install w/ ABS!

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
1) I installed new brake lines with my RE 4.5" lift, and one of them I forgot to tighten sat dripping for the last couple days in my driveway so I'm sure the fluid level in the resevoir got pretty low. I was planning on using my trusty Motive Pressure Bleeder to put in some new ATE Gold. But my '01 has ABS, and I am reading that I might have to take my XJ into a DEALER to have them use some fancy computer to activate the ABS solenoids in order to bleed/flush the brakes properly. WTF is up with that?! Can someone please confirm or deny? And isn't that a catch 22? If I can't bleed my brakes, how can I drive it to a dealer or shop to have them do it?! I really don't want to spend any more money on this Heep. Is there a way for me to do my own brakes if I have ABS?

2) I am running a front auto driveshaft as a rear with the SYE, but upon installing we were afraid it's too short. The splines aren't showing yet, but it really seems like it should be an inch or two longer. I'm scared it's gonna pop out once the rear gets flexed. Can anyone chime in here? Am I safe running a front D/S without having it extended? Again, I don't want to spend another god-knows-how-much at a driveline shop to get this thing extended if I don't have to.

I've spent a full week trying to install this friggin kit and I've encountered just about every problem possible. Help me get this Heep on the road! Thanks in advance!

Oops, I bled my brakes with ABS, didn't notice anything :)
Disabled ABS, and Obviously, I've bled my brakes a lot.

xL8 APEKSx said:
2) I am running a front auto driveshaft as a rear with the SYE, but upon installing we were afraid it's too short. The splines aren't showing yet, but it really seems like it should be an inch or two longer. I'm scared it's gonna pop out once the rear gets flexed. Can anyone chime in here? Am I safe running a front D/S without having it extended? Again, I don't want to spend another god-knows-how-much at a driveline shop to get this thing extended if I don't have to.

Look into a ZJ Front.. They are a couple inches longer.

Tenny said:
Look into a ZJ Front.. They are a couple inches longer.

you'll be fine with the XJ front shaft if you have an AW4 and 4.0L. I'm running that same setup with 5 inches of lift and flexed the hell out of it. It'll be fine.

ty20404 said:
you'll be fine with the XJ front shaft if you have an AW4 and 4.0L. I'm running that same setup with 5 inches of lift and flexed the hell out of it. It'll be fine.

Thank you guys! I was in need of some good news! :roll:

xL8 APEKSx, which rear axle do you have?

If for some reason that front shaft doesnt work, here's a list of other front DS's and their lengths....

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

the part number for the shaft you should have (and that most of us use) is 53005542

30.660 is the collapsed length...

That should be the one I have. It's a tight fit, but it sounds like it will work. I'm gonna bleed the brakes tomorrow when I get up, double check my nuts and bolts, and go for a test drive. :)

JNickel101 said:
xL8 APEKSx, which rear axle do you have?
He has ABS so its a D35!

You can bleed the ABS brakes the same as the non-ABS brakes.

If the system gets so dry that the ABS solenoids get air in them you will need the dealership to bleed the solenoids because they have to be cycled in the correct order to bleed them.

Back