• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj changing oil pan

snowjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have to change oil pan due to using it as a plow truck for 3 years. So while I am doing the oil pan is there anything else I should do while I am there?

x2
also oil :D

Im not sure if its much different on a 2000, but on my 90 (RENIX) you have to remove the oil pump before the oil pan will come all the way out (Stock height) If your lifted, it may not be an issue. There is a gasket that goes between the block and the oil pump that i didnt realize would be there. Might want to get one of those gaskets.
Of course give everything else a good inspection for excessive wear etc. May be a good idea to replace that rear main since you definetly dont want to pull that oil pan again anytime soon.

Dont listen to everyone else about changing your oil... Just leave it in the pan and carfully strain it into the new one looking for anything that may seem alarming :gonnablow :looney: :doh: :sure:

Last edited:
you can get the oilpan out without removing the pump if you disconnect some of the front suspension stuff and use a bottle jack to move the front axle down more. or you could just take the bolts out of the transfercase crossmember and slowly let the tranny down a couple inches, that will change the angle of the engine and allow the oilpan to drop out with no problems.

I second the recommendation of using a bottle jack between the axle/frame on a stock truck. I really fought with mine when I did the RMS job, but never removed the oil pump. I eventually used a bottle jack and promptly had the oil pan out 15 minutes later. Definately do the rear main seal while you are in there, it's a pretty quick job once the oil pan is out of the way. You may as well pop the main bearing caps off once your under there to check them out, since it's a quick job--but considering how new your vehicle is I doubt there will be much to look at.
When you replace the oil pan gasket, MAKE SURE to use the one-piece neoprene gasket from Fel-Pro instead of the OEM 3pc cork gaskets. The neoprene gasket is much, much easier to install and offers a better seal.

Oh, and prepare to get dirty. Having chunks of old sludge, oil etc falling into your face for hours is not fun!

I can't believe how clean my motor is. I got the pan out no problem but it has 5 inches of lift. There is a 2 piece torque converter cover and the lower section has rusted through. I got it out but I'm guessing its a dealer part?

You using a 6'-6" western plow? Do watch your front floorpans where they are welded to the unibody. You may be surprised as to how quick they rot away. Another thing to watch is where the coils touch up top they don't like the extra weight of the plow very much. I hope it's only for personal use cause my 94 did not last but 3 seasons. Now I use an F-250 super duty.

Also X2 on the rear main seal. Check your wiring to the starter for severe corrosion while your down there.

Back