• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle U-bolts

binderbart

NAXJA Forum User
kinda in a pinch here and I need to know something as quick as possible. Does anyone know the size of the stock rear axle u-bolts for a 1995 cherokee? I need to call someone about 40 miles away in the next couple of hours so they can pick a set up for me, I'm planning on dropping the stock axle back in this weekend. It has a ford nine inch in it right now.

It depends the 8.25 has 3 inch tube and I think the tudry five is 2 3/4

Thanks for the help, I think I'm dropping in a 35, so I'll get the smaller u-bolts. The reason for the swap is, the axles that were in it were geared at 4:56 and I'm dropping down to 3:55's. I figure the gas mileage will improve and the nine inch in the rear right now is custom made, I just want to get it right to get me thru the winter right now. I wheel with the 3:55's in the trail scout right now and get around all right, so I'm figuring on maybe adapted a scout dana 44 onto the cherokee before this years wheeling which starts up in may. The scout weighs 5000 lbs, so I figure if I run the same axle with the cherokee, I'll be a lot lighter and be able to wheel alright then. I drive the cherokee on a daily basis and the gas mileage is killing me. I found a matched set of axles for dirt cheap.

Blaine B. said:
What size tires?

X2.......... running your 4.0L at a lower RPM range will more than likely kill your fuel economy. 4.56s with 33s is a good combination. do not be afraid to let the 4.0L rev on the highways, it loves 3000 - 3400 actually. smaller gears will make you use more throttle and acceleration is where the 4.0L sucks the fuel down. 5spd trany will be better than an auto but not terribly diferent. let the engine breathe..

I've actually fouund 4.10 and 33's to be the sweet spot for mileage. 19-20 hwy. With 4.88's now I get 13-15 and with 3.73's I got 15-17.

With 3.55 and 32's I got 15. 4.56 and 32's got me 21. With 4.88 and 35's I get about 18.

okay, I'll explain the situation, bought the cherokee in May. Its was a builder someone had started on and stopped. It has a 4 inch lift, ford nine inch rear axle that was custom made to fit, with a locker of some sort. it has the sway bar quick disconnects and stainless steel brake lines. I got it dirt cheap because of some issues it had, the vaccum booster was shot and it had a wheel bearing noise up front. the front driveshaft was out of it and sitting in the rear of the vehicle. It sat for a few months until I could get to it. I put a booster in it and changed the drivers front wheel bearing because the noise sounded like it came from there. the noise was still there so I changed the passenger side wheel bearing and at the same time put some u-joints in the front shaft and installed it. the noise was still there but worst. I figured it was probably a pinion bearing. Well, a fellow club member had a set of stock axles so I got them and put the front one in last weekend. I checked the tag on the front diff and it equated to a 3:55, so I dropped this axle in and the noise went away, but I could tell the front didn't match the rear, the hind end trys to come around on you when you let off the gas in snow. So today I pulled the diff cover off the old axle and the only numbers I found were printed on the main gear-41x9. I also spun the main gear and counted the revolutions of the yoke and it worked out to be about 4 and 1/2 turns. I'm going to pick up u-bolts tomorrow and put in the stock axle this weekend. right now, with the nine inch, and 31 inch tires I'm tacking at about 2100 at 55 mph. and my gas mileage is about 13.

dana35 u-bolts are 2.62", although when I had some new ones bent up at the local steel shop I had them made to 2.65", no problems either way. Also got them to make the new ones out of 9/16" stock instead since the stock ones were puny as all hell.

goodburbon said:
so......what you doing with the 9 inch

as of right now, everything is on hold, I might have found a ring and pinion for the nine inch, this way I could reuse the locker. I'll know more by next week.

Blaine B. said:
What did you get with 4.56 and 35's? Not sure if you regeared before or after upgrading to 35's.

X2

Back